Lembah is ceph city!

dwhatley;123084 said:
Will you get to do any diving for the aquarium? You never really said what you are doing there (except enjoying it!). This sounds like the trip of a life time. I alway wanted to see the Komoto Dragons live, now if the Galapagos Islands are scheduled on this adventure too, I will be even more jealous. I wish you had posted an itinerary so we could follow you.

I was hired as an "as needed biologist" there until at least the opening of the new facility. "As needed" really means not more than 20 hours a week so they don't have to give me benefits. :biggrin2: It also means I do anything that is needed from cleaning to feeding to medicating to acclimating new arrivals to preparing animals to be moved to the new facility to water testing to a ton of other things. It was a summer job, but it looks like they want me on permanently and I really don't know yet in what capacity they have in mind. I'll let you know as soon as I find out, but I am hoping it will involve cephs! Any way it turns out, I am happy and honored to be part of the team there.

The dragons were pretty neat. One went after my daughter, but was stopped by guides with sticks. Pretty hairy.

Right now we are in Bali and will be for a couple more days - then home!

Lets see... the diving in Komodo got screwed up. I get the feeling we got screwed, and I have emails out to the tour company. We were supposed to go to the Komodo reserve, but we didn't. I did see one cuttle, broad club, do a neat display.

I can't wait to get home to start going through the 14 hours of video. Some amazing stuff. My underwater camera allows me to take stills while filming, so most of the photos I have also have the action on video. Stuff eating, and changing colors and whoo hoo.

If I find some time before we go to process some more pics I will post em!

:smile:

Daniel,
You DID NOT drown in your aquarium! I had started to wonder - sorry for the hijack - but what of your captive bred from captive bred cuttles?

Thanks guys!

Crissy, I tried to find a Hairy but didn't. There was supposed to be one living right off the dock and I was prepared to sit and wait for it for 90 minutes. However, our dive guide, who turned out to be super, told me, after much pestering on the down low, that there wasn't one there. It turns out that some of the dive guides are telling people that aculeatus is a hairy octopus because they can look hairy. I saw this happen once after a dive after taking shots/video of an aculeatus when the Japanese divers asked what kind of octopus it was, and were told hairy. I tried to correct once or twice but no one was interested and I didn't think it was worth ruining their fun. There we a couple more reports of hairy sightings, but they were with the same dive guide that told the Japanese 'hairy'. So I have my doubts.

It was/is however a great trip!

Dictated by my daughter while we were in Lembah, and which I only found out about right now:

A little octopus went swimming and she met another octopus. And they went playing hopscotch together. And the met a bigger octopus, and the bigger octopus put them on his back and they said "grrrr, I am the furious tiger squid!"
The end.

Excellent story by your daughter!

The confusion between aculeatus and the hairy octo has been going on for years. Well at least now you have one left on the wish-list to see next time!

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back