Lembah is ceph city!

Thales

Colossal Squid
Staff member
Moderator (Staff)
I am fortunate enough to be diving Lembah this week, and man, its sick with cephs! One one dive we saw a flamboyant and a wunderpus! Crazy. We've also seen broad club cuttles, pigmy cuttles, pigmy squid, bobtail squid, walking octos, common octos, day octos, two mimics and two flamboyants. Plenty of other stuff, but we know only cephs count. One or two days left to go with eyes peeled for hairy and wunderpus. :smile:

The resort even has internet (clearly!) but its slow, so I am going to try to post a pic of two of my loves. I have more pics, but the video will be better. Hope all of TONMO is doing well!

That is SO not fair! You're diving with cephs while I'm stuck with inservice meetings all week! :mrgreen: Glad it's going so well for YOU though Thales! Who's caring for the small-striped-ones while you're away?

We are staying at KBR. Nice!

The small striped babies are all at Roy's lab until I return, as is the female who is brooding again. The males are still at my place, being taken care of by an very enthusiastic house sitting friend.

Ok - one more pic before bed!

very cool. Between this and the "Diving with GPOs" footage on the MonsterQuest show, I'm really wanting to get back to SCUBA...

Good photos!
Try to look out for O type holes in the ground with eyes protruding from the sand, a lot of Lysiosquilla mantis shrimp ("zebra mantis") are found here, especially on the black sand of Lembah straight.

TrappedMetal;122993 said:
Good photos!
Try to look out for O type holes in the ground with eyes protruding from the sand, a lot of Lysiosquilla mantis shrimp ("zebra mantis") are found here, especially on the black sand of Lembah straight.

:smile:

Puts my excitement to seeing my first in situ octopus to shame (it doesn't reduce the memory though).

I thought the water there (I never been even close to, other than passing over, the equator) was always quite warm. Is there a cold current or are you getting that much bottom time to wear hood and wet suit?

Thanks guys!
The water temp is 78/79 (convert it yourself metric people!) which is unseasonably warm. They say this years weather is wonky. My wife wears a hood because she always gets cold. Plus we have been getting tons of bottom time, dives ranging from 65 to 100 minutes! I just did my last dive here and I will miss it, but we are on our way to Komodo to look at dragons and do more diving.

Oh - horn tooting alert - it looks like I may go permanent, full time at the Steinhart aquarium at the CAS. Whoo hoo! What a nice email to get on vacation. Not definite yet, but looks to be happening! I am freaking thrilled!

Here are a couple more pics: Baby broadclub (1 inch) and pigmy cuttle checking out my wife.

Will you get to do any diving for the aquarium? You never really said what you are doing there (except enjoying it!). This sounds like the trip of a life time. I alway wanted to see the Komoto Dragons live, now if the Galapagos Islands are scheduled on this adventure too, I will be even more jealous. I wish you had posted an itinerary so we could follow you.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back