Lembah is ceph city!

Discussion in 'Diving & Ceph Encounters' started by Thales, Aug 14, 2008.

1. Thales

Thales Colossal Squid Staff Member Moderator

I am fortunate enough to be diving Lembah this week, and man, its sick with cephs! One one dive we saw a flamboyant and a wunderpus! Crazy. We've also seen broad club cuttles, pigmy cuttles, pigmy squid, bobtail squid, walking octos, common octos, day octos, two mimics and two flamboyants. Plenty of other stuff, but we know only cephs count. One or two days left to go with eyes peeled for hairy and wunderpus. :smile:

The resort even has internet (clearly!) but its slow, so I am going to try to post a pic of two of my loves. I have more pics, but the video will be better. Hope all of TONMO is doing well!

2. gholland

gholland Haliphron Atlanticus Supporter

That is SO not fair! You're diving with cephs while I'm stuck with inservice meetings all week! :mrgreen: Glad it's going so well for YOU though Thales! Who's caring for the small-striped-ones while you're away?

3. esquid

esquid Haliphron Atlanticus Supporter

:snorkel: whimper, jealous, need to learn to dive :snorkel:

what resort are you at?

erin

4. Thales

We are staying at KBR. Nice!

The small striped babies are all at Roy's lab until I return, as is the female who is brooding again. The males are still at my place, being taken care of by an very enthusiastic house sitting friend.

Ok - one more pic before bed!

5. cthulhu77

cthulhu77 Titanites Supporter

Very cool ! Great images !

6. Animal Mother

Animal Mother Architeuthis Supporter

I am ever so green with envy!

7. gholland

gholland Haliphron Atlanticus Supporter

Wonderful photos as usual!

8. monty

monty Colossal Squid Staff Member Supporter

very cool. Between this and the "Diving with GPOs" footage on the MonsterQuest show, I'm really wanting to get back to SCUBA...

9. TrappedMetal

TrappedMetal Cuttlefish Registered

Good photos!
    Try to look out for O type holes in the ground with eyes protruding from the sand, a lot of Lysiosquilla mantis shrimp ("zebra mantis") are found here, especially on the black sand of Lembah straight.

10. Thales

:smile:

11. DWhatley

DWhatley Cthulhu Staff Member Moderator

Puts my excitement to seeing my first in situ octopus to shame (it doesn't reduce the memory though).

I thought the water there (I never been even close to, other than passing over, the equator) was always quite warm. Is there a cold current or are you getting that much bottom time to wear hood and wet suit?

12. Thales

Thanks guys!
    The water temp is 78/79 (convert it yourself metric people!) which is unseasonably warm. They say this years weather is wonky. My wife wears a hood because she always gets cold. Plus we have been getting tons of bottom time, dives ranging from 65 to 100 minutes! I just did my last dive here and I will miss it, but we are on our way to Komodo to look at dragons and do more diving.

Oh - horn tooting alert - it looks like I may go permanent, full time at the Steinhart aquarium at the CAS. Whoo hoo! What a nice email to get on vacation. Not definite yet, but looks to be happening! I am freaking thrilled!

Here are a couple more pics: Baby broadclub (1 inch) and pigmy cuttle checking out my wife.

13. daddysquoc

daddysquoc Wonderpus Registered

great pics.

14. Animal Mother

Dude. You are my idle Rich.

15. DWhatley

Will you get to do any diving for the aquarium? You never really said what you are doing there (except enjoying it!). This sounds like the trip of a life time. I alway wanted to see the Komoto Dragons live, now if the Galapagos Islands are scheduled on this adventure too, I will be even more jealous. I wish you had posted an itinerary so we could follow you.

16. Thales

I love that!

Idle Rich! As long as I am not your Idol Rich! :wink:

17. Thales

I was hired as an "as needed biologist" there until at least the opening of the new facility. "As needed" really means not more than 20 hours a week so they don't have to give me benefits. :D It also means I do anything that is needed from cleaning to feeding to medicating to acclimating new arrivals to preparing animals to be moved to the new facility to water testing to a ton of other things. It was a summer job, but it looks like they want me on permanently and I really don't know yet in what capacity they have in mind. I'll let you know as soon as I find out, but I am hoping it will involve cephs! Any way it turns out, I am happy and honored to be part of the team there.

The dragons were pretty neat. One went after my daughter, but was stopped by guides with sticks. Pretty hairy.

Right now we are in Bali and will be for a couple more days - then home!

Lets see... the diving in Komodo got screwed up. I get the feeling we got screwed, and I have emails out to the tour company. We were supposed to go to the Komodo reserve, but we didn't. I did see one cuttle, broad club, do a neat display.

I can't wait to get home to start going through the 14 hours of video. Some amazing stuff. My underwater camera allows me to take stills while filming, so most of the photos I have also have the action on video. Stuff eating, and changing colors and whoo hoo.

If I find some time before we go to process some more pics I will post em!

:smile:

18. Paradox

Paradox Haliphron Atlanticus Supporter

wow great trip! congrat on the job!

19. DWhatley

Daniel,
    You DID NOT drown in your aquarium! I had started to wonder - sorry for the hijack - but what of your captive bred from captive bred cuttles?

20. Animal Mother

Hukt awn fonnix werkt 4 me.