Legs - Showing off for the camera

CaptFish

Colossal Squid
Staff member
Moderator (Staff)
default.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
  • Legs seems to know when she is on camera she likes to reach for it and the only time she flashes is when I am filming.
  • ---

It seems like she picks up something given off by the camera and likes to react to it and reach for it. I have only seen the flashing one time when the camera was off, but on, she is a regular light show!

From some of the dive photos and report about GPO's (as well as squid) examining masks and cameras, I wonder if it has something to do with light reflection that we can't (maybe in the polarized range) or don't (because we expect it) see. Do you have any kind of filter in front of the lens? If so try taking it off and see if there is any difference in her reaction.

No its just a cheaper model Nikon Coolpix still camera that has a video feature. I wanna try a film camera and see what kind of reaction i get. I also want to try a real video camera. My neighbor has both, I just need to convince him its in the name of SCIENCE!

I am using a Cannon G9 and don't get much if any reaction.

Just for grins, do you have a quick reference to the Coolpix information that would say if it has a built in polarizing filter? It could even have something to do with the coating on the glass but would have to be something also used on masks but not all cameras and not all masks. So trying the different cameras will be interesting to see if she reacts differently.

You may have to borrow your friend along with the cameras if he is nervous about lending them but that might be a good way to add another member to TONMO :biggrin2:

Interesting. I did a quick search on the lens (Nikon propriatary) and did find a reference to an integrated coating:

Nikon Super Integrated Coating is Nikon's term for its multilayer coating of the optical elements in NIKKOR lenses. This multilayer coating helps reduce lens flare (the appearance on the image of the distinctive shape of the lens diaphragm, caused when non-image-forming light enters the lens and hits the camera's sensor) and ghosting (bright spots of reflected light that appear on the image, the result of the camera being pointed at a bright light source). Nikon's Super Integrated Coating is especially effective for lenses with a large number of elements, and the multilayer coating process is tailored to the design of each particular NIKKOR. The number of coatings applied to each lens element is carefully calculated to match the lens type and glass used, and also to assure uniform color balance.

Nano Crystal Coat is an antireflective coating that virtually eliminates internal lens element reflections across a wide range of wavelengths, and is particularly effective in reducing ghost and flare peculiar to ultra-wide-angle lenses. Nano Crystal Coat employs multiple layers of Nikon’s extra-low refractive index coating, which features ultra-fine crystallized particles of nanometer size.

Hopefully your neighbor's cameras are from a different manufacturer to see if there is a difference. I think my mother still has an old Nikon so I will see about borrowing it as well :biggrin2:

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back