'Legs' - O. briareus

My bimac (chewy) that i had did this attack thing you are talking about if he was really hungry. Its pretty frightening the first time it happens.

Also Captfish you also said that you have some anomes in the tank(i at least think you said that or maybe it was someone else). What type are they?

Yes i do. One big Long Tentacle Brown Anemone (Macrodactyla) and Haitian Reef Anemone (Condylactis) and Aiptasia Anemones. The only one that seem to effect her is the Aiptasia, but all she does is flinch. I'm pretty sure in many of my videos you can see legs with the Anmones.

The condi would be the safest but they don't do well over time with out a good light source. I moved mine from my medium light reef to my anemone tank that has a MH and it is now doing very well but had started to die in the reef where the flowers thrive and get huge. My octo tanks would not support one for long.

Things are going great still. Iswear Legs grows an inch everyday. I kinda thought her growth would have slowed alittle but it hasn't. Evrytime a friend comes over they comment that she is twice the sizr she was when they last saw her. her spread is now well over 24" I dont know exactly how much as she has out grown my measuring stick.

side note: I had a fish death. My puffer I have had him for over 5 years. I dont think it was octo related as the body had no markings on it at all. I think it may have just been his time.

Sooo this week is a week of hiding. Seems like it happens every now and then she will she not be social at all for about a week. I know she is OK cause I can see her, she just sits in her den and holds her toy (hookless lure). Oh well, I'm sure she'll be out soon enough.

I usually do an extra water change anytime I see odd behavior. I don't know that it does anything or is needed but it seems to get a return to normal response within 24 hours. It may be that I do the extra change just as the animal would have returned to normal anyway.

So Legs is sitting in her den blasting sand everywhere and making a mess in the tank. Anyone seen this before? I hope its not brooding behavior.

also Her mantle has also grown huge in a very short time she has outgrown my 4" measuring stick. I estimate her mantle at 4.25"

Is she collecting loose shells and small rocks? If you don't have loose things quarter to orange sized in the tank, add a few and see if she starts hording them. I seem to remember that Kalypso (male) may have done the blowing sand everywhere thing too but the quick mantle growth is not a good sign, particularly added to the shyness you mentioned earlier.

I went back through some of Kalypso's journal trying to find something about him digging up the tank but the best I could come up with is entry #178 where AM mentions that Kalypso was missing an arm tip and had been doing a lot of digging after 8 months in the aquarium.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back