• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

LED Lighting Solutions for Octo Tanks

These seem to be getting less expensive.

My trusted LFS person told me he's seen very nice coral tanks under LED lighting, so it seems to work for at least some tanks.

Nancy.

Unfortunately, the ones for coral tanks are still not priced comfortably and have not come down as quickly as we have hoped. Everytime we need to buy bulbs we look to see what is new but are still using bulbs. The one from Marinelife (above) would not support most corals but might be ideal for a non-coral octo tank (like a merc tank).

I have supplimental LED strips on my biocube. I have 2 of small ones with 4 bulbs on each mounted next to my 2 T5 units. When the main lights go off, these are on for another hour, is not enough for corals by no means but maybe a couple more strips would make great lighting for a merc tank. (smaller one like mine that is) I paid around $40 for each, pretty expensive for sure but would be nice not to have to buy the T5 bulbs, I have had some back ordered sunce Dec. it is rediculous but the price was good, Dr. Foster & Smith.

You might want to check out the ones used from grow lights for plants. My girlfriend is a botanist and they use LED lights in her grow Labs she says they work Great! but to be an effective grow light the lights are not white, they are a mix of red, orange and blue lights. LED grow lights are designed to stimulate photosynthesis by providing light in the frequencies that plants primarily use for this critical biological process. Individual LEDs may contain one of 29 known combinations of elements that emit light in different colors when excited by electrons. Grow light manufacturers emphasize blue and red LEDs in their fixtures, sometimes with other colors, which gives many LED grow lights their distinctive purplish-red color. Optimizing the light spectrum helps in two ways: it enhances photosynthesis and saves energy by not generating light in colors that plants do not use. I dont know if this is the same for aquarium, and coral.

ledgrowlightsoutlet.com

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back