[Cuttlefish Eggs]: Lazarus, Nib, Blot and Rorschach - Sepia bandensis journal

Nib has continued to mate and has laid more eggs. I can't tell exactly how many, as she has a hideout in the most inaccessible spot in the tank. Sometimes her mate (seems to be Rorschach, the biggest male usually), hangs out in her den with her. If I release food into the cave, she eats it, but she does not like leaving the safety of the den. The males still regularly come to the front to beg.

Well, Nib, the female passed away last night. She had been mating even up to the day before, and eating, but had started to seem sort of..."clumsy" over the last week? She was a bit over 7 months old. The other 3 males seem to be OK still.

Well, I figured I'd come back here and close my thread here. The other cuttles didn't last more than a few weeks after the first one died. I knew it was coming, but it didn't make it any easier. All told, the oldest of them was about 8 months old. It was an amazing experience, and something to cross off the old bucket list. Not sure if I have it in me to do it again, at least not for awhile.

It feels like the cuttles are worse because you go through all the effort to raise these amazing little things from eggs, you feel sort of parental towards them? I don't know. I couldn't bring myself to come back here and write that closing post for several months.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back