[Cuttlefish Eggs]: Lazarus, Nib, Blot and Rorschach - Sepia bandensis journal

I think 2 things helped. Definitely mixing the frozen with live seemed to cause a sort of confused "kill everything no matter what" reaction, and also, I think I may have inadvertently conditioned them to associate the lights going out with feeding time. When I feed, I always do so right after I turn the lights off, and they seem to immediately start "begging" at that point. So interesting an animal that small exhibiting such complex behavior.

Tomorrow marks the 1 month point, and it seems as though two of the cuttles at least, are taking advantage of frozen foods. I've been trying to get them to take food from a stick, too, but so far all that does is make them annoyed.

This morning, I tried taking the smallest shore shrimp I had and offering it to them. Rorschach, and Lazarus, the two bigger cuttles took an immediate interest, and Rorschach took it down. He's the largest, and I think because of it, tends to get more food. I'm considering separating those two from the smaller two to make sure everyone's getting enough to eat. I also put in another order of mysids which should get here the middle of next week. I'm hesitant to switch entirely to frozen because I'm still not 100% they're all eating it regularly.

So there hasn't been much to report lately, just steady growth. All of the cuttles have taken frozen foods and live shore shrimp at this point. They seem to much prefer the live foods, but its good I can offer frozen in a pinch as a backup. The largest cuttlefish, Rorschach is about 1.25" long now, maybe about the size of a grape. I'm wondering when I should release them from the nets. I'm super anxious about that.

:oops:, I meant to go look at my journal but it slipped my mind (I'll claim TONMOcon VI name badges as my distraction :sagrin:). They might have been slightly smaller. I think the biggest determination was that they were hunting and eating well. I remember them being exuberant to leave the net so I may have waited slightly longer than necessary.

Gut feel, go ahead and release the kraken. The tank will be small enough (mine was also a 40 but not the shallower breeder style) to be sure each gets fed but give them more room to swim.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back