[Cuttlefish Eggs]: Lazarus, Nib, Blot and Rorschach - Sepia bandensis journal

So it’s been an interesting week. I had shrimp scheduled to arrive the 3rd and the 4th. The first order on the 3rd were 300 mysids. I set them up in a tupperware container but I realize in retrospect I had the salinity wrong. So I ended up with only a handful of those which the cuttles happily ate in like 1 sitting. I’ve since called the folks at aquaculturestore.com and gotten some better instructions for how to set them up. Very nice people. I’ve got more mysids coming from them on Thursday and since I’ve been relying mostly on amphipods to shore up my feedings, they were very kind and shipped me some free amphipods to help replenish my stock. Great people, highly recommend them.

The other order of shrimp were “marine janitor” shrimp which I ordered from a different supplier. Small, transparent, about an inch long max. They look just like the freshwater “ghost shrimp” you can find in most pet stores as feeders, but they’re saltwater. I ordered 100 of those and all but ten of them were DOA. I’m hoping to straighten that out today, because I couldn’t get ahold of anyone on Friday when they arrived, probably because it was the start of Labor Day weekend.

So yeah, I had to head into a 3 day weekend with basically nothing to feed these guys.I have spent most of my time picking the remaining amphipods and occasional fairy shrimp out of my sump. On Saturday, I fished about 30 out. Subsequently though, I’ve been getting about half that. It’s frustrating and exhausting and it’s been super stressful. Aside from that, I’ve been spending my weekend desperately trying anything else that might work. Here’s a run down:

Frozen mysid shrimp: Did not seem to show any interest in them yet.

Went to Michaels and bought a Triops growing kit. These are a species of freshwater ephemeral shrimp. It took them 2 days to hatch and they’re tiny, so I’m waiting on these. Not very optimistic.

Small guppies: I was hoping for guppy fry, but all I managed to find around town after going to 3 different shops were guppies that were about 3/4″ long. The biggest cuttle, Rorschach, is about .5″ currently, although they grow at an amazing rate, I think the guppies were too big. I kept a bunch of them and put them in my FW tank, so maybe I’ll get some actual fry eventually. Anyways, the cuttles weren’t interested.

Small marine janitor shrimp: There were 2 out of the survivors that I thought might be small enough. So far, no one’s eaten them, but they seem to keep to themselves and eat detritus, so I left them in the net.

When I started to run low on amphipods, I went to my aquarium shop down the street and they were gracious enough to let me borrow one of their dirty filter socks, so I scored about 30 more amphipods that way, plus I bought more chaeto algae from them and picked some more out of that. I still have to make it to Thursday before I’ll have those mysids, but I am determined to make this work.

Guppies are not likely to be a problem and I have experimented with sailfin mollies but I want to throw in a warning about trying to use fish in general. With the likely exception of Nautilus, fish are not a natural diet for cephs (and don't have the fats they need for a regular diet) but may be acceptable for occasional feeding HOWEVER, most fish found in pet stores have been treated with copper somewhere along the line. This is SOP to minimize death from ich but lethal to cephs. If you want to supplement feeding with fish be sure you know your source and can ask. Anything your source purchases through wholesalers should be avoided.

I did ask them if they had been treated with copper and was assured they hadn't, but yeah, I know. I was more just desperately seeking anything that might work as I went in to the weekend with substantially lower reserves than I thought I was going to have. In any case, they didn't go for them and I fed the remains to the shore shrimp I have, which seemed to eat them with gusto (and didn't die, thankfully). I put the others in my FW planted tank, so maybe I can generate some fry as an occasional treat down the road that way. I have a 100 more shore shrimp coming tomorrow (which Im hoping will have some small enough individuals we can try again) and mysids on Thursday.

In the meantime, it's "hunt amphipods till your eyeballs fall out."

I just tried a cube of frozen mysids again, and they seemed to sort of snap at it. I don't think they actually ate it, but there was certainly some sort of reaction. They seem to like biting at the net.

And as for laughing, @cuttlegirl go ahead. I did this to myself! :biggrin2:

@ekocak. I know it's very frustrating, been there, so know the feeling. You will however see in time that keeping these animals are sooooooooo rewarding. My babies are only about 2 months old, but they are allready interacting more each day with me. Two of them actually swim right up to my finger when I stick it in their breeder net. They most definitely know who feeds them. Keep it up Bud!!!

I did ask them if they had been treated with copper and was assured they hadn't, but yeah, I know. I was more just desperately seeking anything that might work as I went in to the weekend with substantially lower reserves than I thought I was going to have. In any case, they didn't go for them and I fed the remains to the shore shrimp I have, which seemed to eat them with gusto (and didn't die, thankfully). I put the others in my FW planted tank, so maybe I can generate some fry as an occasional treat down the road that way. I have a 100 more shore shrimp coming tomorrow (which Im hoping will have some small enough individuals we can try again) and mysids on Thursday.

In the meantime, it's "hunt amphipods till your eyeballs fall out."
Did you receive the new batch of shrimp and if so were they mostly alive this time?

Be sure the air stone is barely bubbling as I think strong bubbles may contribute to their deaths. I used one that was a long rubber tube with a piece of metal inside (I removed the metal) and circled it along the out bottom edge with just enough flow to see very tiny bubbles. I still think feeding daphnia (frozen) twice daily was also a major part of my final success in keeping them alive.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back