[Cuttlefish Eggs]: Lazarus, Nib, Blot and Rorschach - Sepia bandensis journal

ekocak

Vampyroteuthis
Supporter
Reaction score
I am now pretty sure some form of mysid is growing in my tank. I have been putting them in with him, as well as some tiny pods. Fingers crossed.

ekocak

Vampyroteuthis
Supporter
Reaction score
Still alive this evening. Watched him slowly crawling on the bottom a bit, using his little arms. Only swims if I get near him, otherwise, stays at the bottom. There are mysids and pods in there with him. I have not seen him eat anything yet, altho (and this might be my imagination/wishful thinking) I swear he looks slightly bigger.

ekocak

Vampyroteuthis
Supporter
Reaction score
Last night, I noticed Laz clinging to the front side of the breeder net, where a few mysid shrimp had accumulated outside the net, between the net and the glass. There are definitely some mysids in there with him, but I’m worried that they aren’t enough. I tried netting some of the rogue mysids with a dip net, but they’re either too fast, or too small and the net not fine enough. I’ve already tried using a soda bottle with some fish food in it, but all I caught were snails. So last night, at 10 pm I drive to the grocery store and bought a turkey baster, and since it was my one and only purchase, definitely got me a weird look from the cashier. I’m not great at it, and I’m only catching like one mysid at a time, but it’s working. I think I may just need to improve my technique.

I think Lazarus is eating, but I haven’t directly observed him. He looks visibly bigger. I also think I saw movement in one of the 3 remaining eggs last night.

cuttlegirl

Colossal Squid
Registered
Reaction score
Can you get an eye dropper and turn it around (so the narrow part is in the bulb and you have a wider opening, but not as big as a turkey baster.

I have also used plastic tubing and just mouth siphoned small critters (careful or you get a mouthful of sea water).

ekocak

Vampyroteuthis
Supporter
Reaction score
Both great ideas, I will try them this evening. I've been able to catch small amphipods by just picking them out of my filter sock, but the stupid shrimp (I still can't believe I somehow managed to accidentally culture mysid shrimp) are elusive. I have ordered some mysids from sachs this morning just to be on the safe side.

ekocak

Vampyroteuthis
Supporter
Reaction score
I found a fish shop across town that sells copepods of various types, super cheap. Going to give that a try tonight.

DWhatley

Kraken
Staff member
Reaction score
LOL, your supermarket story reminds me of an aquarium story I read long ago about a single guy buying feminine hygiene products to use as filtration and getting evil looks from a mother of a good looking girl he was semi-flirting with in the line. :biggrin2:

Just a reminder that frozen daphnia seemed to make a huge difference in survival for the mysis I finally kept successfully (as well as very mild flow).

ekocak

Vampyroteuthis
Supporter
Reaction score
It will be interesting to compare the mysids I have coming with the ones in my tank. I can't get a good picture of them but this is basically what I'm seeing:image.jpg
The eyes shine the same way that the peppermint shrimp does. They're very fast swimmers, and often move in sort undulating or circular motions.
Laz is still alive tonight, and I'm now pretty sure he looks bigger. He doesn't move much with the lights on, but I'm wondering if he's preying on things in the dark.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
W Cephalopod Journals 6