[Cuttlefish Eggs]: Lazarus, Nib, Blot and Rorschach - Sepia bandensis journal

ekocak

Vampyroteuthis
Supporter
Reaction score
Well, I figured I'd come back here and close my thread here. The other cuttles didn't last more than a few weeks after the first one died. I knew it was coming, but it didn't make it any easier. All told, the oldest of them was about 8 months old. It was an amazing experience, and something to cross off the old bucket list. Not sure if I have it in me to do it again, at least not for awhile.

DWhatley

Kraken
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm not sure why but I continue to keep octopuses in spite of the longevity issues but only keep cuttles on a rare occasion.

ekocak

Vampyroteuthis
Supporter
Reaction score
It feels like the cuttles are worse because you go through all the effort to raise these amazing little things from eggs, you feel sort of parental towards them? I don't know. I couldn't bring myself to come back here and write that closing post for several months.

DWhatley

Kraken
Staff member
Reaction score
I have had the same delay with octopuses, especially the "special" individuals who have interacted. Sy Montgomery captures the human-ceph connection very well in her Soul of an Octopus.

I am better about recording deaths within a day now though because I want to be able to go back and see how long each animal lived in captivity and I tend to forget dates if I don't record them. I also take and photograph final measurements - really, really hard to do but it requires action immediately after death.

tonmo

Titanites
Staff member
Webmaster
Reaction score
nice job! That's the proper way to document your ceph keeping experiences... in high volume and with as much detail as possible. Pays it forward!

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
W Cephalopod Journals 6