[Cuttlefish Eggs]: Lazarus, Nib, Blot and Rorschach - Sepia bandensis journal

DWhatley

Kraken
Staff member
Reaction score
Nice!
@ekocak, The first video in #127 is marked private so it does not show on the site. Marking it public works but you can also use their semi-private option where anyone who has the link can view it but it will not show up in searches.

tonmo

Titanites
Staff member
Webmaster
Reaction score
You can also upload here... I've just changed permissions so that member Albums can also support uploaded videos (along with the Site Category for Videos).

As an album owner, you can also change permissions to whatever you want... so if you make it only viewable to TONMO members, it will only show for people who are logged in on this site and it will not appear in Google.

If you make it open to everyone, it will be crawled by Google and will appear in their search, probably after a few days.

ekocak

Vampyroteuthis
Supporter
Reaction score
This week has marked a definite shift in behavior. They are all MUCH bolder now, and active even when the lights are on. I began feeding with the lights on about 2 weeks ago, but I'm not sure that was it entirely.

ekocak

Vampyroteuthis
Supporter
Reaction score
Do any of you kind folks have experience in alcohol preserving your cephs after they pass? I have some museum friends that have lent me some resources (including a link to an article on TONMO about architeuthis prep protocol!). From what I gather, you fix in formalin bath first, and then preserve in ethyl alcohol at around 70% dilution.

DWhatley

Kraken
Staff member
Reaction score
That is how I do it as well. Note that when you put them in the formalin they will remain in their first exposure position. This is less important with cuttlefish than with octopuses but you do want to put them in a large enough container to allow them full extension and not be smushed. You will want to rinse them well with saltwater before transferring to alcohol. Buffered saltwater has been recommended but I just use the same water I use for water changes. I use the 91% rather than the more common 70% alcohol. Sometimes you have to look for it but most pharmacies/pharmacy departments carry both.

ekocak

Vampyroteuthis
Supporter
Reaction score
Excellent thanks guys. I was thinking of practicing on some market squid first just to get it down ahead of time.

cuttlegirl

Colossal Squid
Supporter
Reaction score
Oh, I also took out the cuttlebone and let it dry before preserving the animal. I have a collection of cuttlebones from around the world. Sometimes they just slide out of the mantle after they have died.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bigbear

Monty Awards

TONMOCON IV (2011): Terri
TONMOCON V (2013): Jean
TONMOCON VI (2015): Taollan
TONMOCON VII (2018): ekocak

About the Monty Awards