[Cuttlefish Eggs]: Lazarus, Nib, Blot and Rorschach - Sepia bandensis journal

Discussion in 'Cephalopod Journals' started by ekocak, Aug 22, 2015.

1. ekocak

ekocak Vampyroteuthis Registered

I wasn't sure what to title this yet, so sorry for the really generic name. My BlueZoo eggs arrived this morning and after drip acclimating them, it looks as though I have 3 good eggs out of 5. Two of them seemed to have hatched prematurely, while in transit and don't seem to be alive. They're white and appear to be motionless with yolk still attached. I left them in the breeder net in case I'm wrong, but I'm at least optimistic about the other three.

2. ekocak

I may have spoken too soon, the bigger of the 2 "dead" ones definitely moved. He's almost twice as big as the other, and has a yolk sack still attached. I actually noticed he had moved to another area in the net breeder, and had turned darker. I even saw him pump his mantle.

The remaining eggs are maybe half to 3/4 the size of grapes. Mostly clear. Not seeing a lot of movement, but apparently I can't tell a dead cuttle from a live one.
    EDIT: Video of "Lazarus":

Last edited: Aug 22, 2015
  3. DWhatley

DWhatley Cthulhu Staff Member Moderator

Sadly, as you already know the chances of survival for cuttles born with a yolk sack not almost totally consumed are slim to none. However, I love the name and the hope that goes with it!

4. ekocak

Yeah. He is moving occasionally, and freed himself of the yolk. I think the other one may be actually dead, but who knows. I think they may have hatched prematurely in transit.

5. DWhatley

I don't know if anyone has tried removing the yolk sack since it is their first food so it will be interesting to see if this helps (and if you can get him eating). With prior outcomes, it probably won't hurt.

6. ekocak

Hey, I thought he was dead, so I'll take a slim chance over none. :D

7. DWhatley

Oops :oops: I misread your comment and just realized you did not assist Lazarus releasing the yolk. :fingerscrossed:

8. ekocak

Checked on everyone before bed. Lazarus is now alternating between swimming and resting, and is changing colors. I don't know what's become of the second one. Maybe he revived and moved, maybe he just rolled somewhere I can't see.

9. DWhatley

Look for a white blob in the cheato, that is where I found the one that I had that died (I never was sure if it was alive when I took it out since I did not know it was a cuttle. I suspect it was dead but was shocked to discover it was a cuttlefish the next day and not a piece of detritus.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2015
    ekocak likes this.
  10. ekocak

Yes, I would've absolutely sworn 100% that these guys were dead this morning. Amazing.

11. ekocak

Laz is still kicking as of this morning. image.jpg

DWhatley likes this.
  12. DWhatley

Now, if you can get him eating!

ekocak likes this.
  13. ekocak

I am now pretty sure some form of mysid is growing in my tank. I have been putting them in with him, as well as some tiny pods. Fingers crossed.

DWhatley likes this.
  14. ekocak

Still alive this evening. Watched him slowly crawling on the bottom a bit, using his little arms. Only swims if I get near him, otherwise, stays at the bottom. There are mysids and pods in there with him. I have not seen him eat anything yet, altho (and this might be my imagination/wishful thinking) I swear he looks slightly bigger.

CUTTLE-ADVENTURE likes this.
  15. ekocak

Last night, I noticed Laz clinging to the front side of the breeder net, where a few mysid shrimp had accumulated outside the net, between the net and the glass. There are definitely some mysids in there with him, but I’m worried that they aren’t enough. I tried netting some of the rogue mysids with a dip net, but they’re either too fast, or too small and the net not fine enough. I’ve already tried using a soda bottle with some fish food in it, but all I caught were snails. So last night, at 10 pm I drive to the grocery store and bought a turkey baster, and since it was my one and only purchase, definitely got me a weird look from the cashier. I’m not great at it, and I’m only catching like one mysid at a time, but it’s working. I think I may just need to improve my technique.

I think Lazarus is eating, but I haven’t directly observed him. He looks visibly bigger. I also think I saw movement in one of the 3 remaining eggs last night.

16. cuttlegirl

cuttlegirl Colossal Squid Supporter Registered

Can you get an eye dropper and turn it around (so the narrow part is in the bulb and you have a wider opening, but not as big as a turkey baster.

I have also used plastic tubing and just mouth siphoned small critters (careful or you get a mouthful of sea water).

17. ekocak

Both great ideas, I will try them this evening. I've been able to catch small amphipods by just picking them out of my filter sock, but the stupid shrimp (I still can't believe I somehow managed to accidentally culture mysid shrimp) are elusive. I have ordered some mysids from sachs this morning just to be on the safe side.

18. ekocak

I found a fish shop across town that sells copepods of various types, super cheap. Going to give that a try tonight.

19. DWhatley

LOL, your supermarket story reminds me of an aquarium story I read long ago about a single guy buying feminine hygiene products to use as filtration and getting evil looks from a mother of a good looking girl he was semi-flirting with in the line. :grin:

Just a reminder that frozen daphnia seemed to make a huge difference in survival for the mysis I finally kept successfully (as well as very mild flow).

20. ekocak

It will be interesting to compare the mysids I have coming with the ones in my tank. I can't get a good picture of them but this is basically what I'm seeing: image.jpg
    The eyes shine the same way that the peppermint shrimp does. They're very fast swimmers, and often move in sort undulating or circular motions.
    Laz is still alive tonight, and I'm now pretty sure he looks bigger. He doesn't move much with the lights on, but I'm wondering if he's preying on things in the dark.