[Cuttlefish Eggs]: Lazarus, Nib, Blot and Rorschach - Sepia bandensis journal

ekocak

Vampyroteuthis
Supporter
Reaction score
I wasn't sure what to title this yet, so sorry for the really generic name. My BlueZoo eggs arrived this morning and after drip acclimating them, it looks as though I have 3 good eggs out of 5. Two of them seemed to have hatched prematurely, while in transit and don't seem to be alive. They're white and appear to be motionless with yolk still attached. I left them in the breeder net in case I'm wrong, but I'm at least optimistic about the other three.

ekocak

Vampyroteuthis
Supporter
Reaction score
I may have spoken too soon, the bigger of the 2 "dead" ones definitely moved. He's almost twice as big as the other, and has a yolk sack still attached. I actually noticed he had moved to another area in the net breeder, and had turned darker. I even saw him pump his mantle.

The remaining eggs are maybe half to 3/4 the size of grapes. Mostly clear. Not seeing a lot of movement, but apparently I can't tell a dead cuttle from a live one.
EDIT: Video of "Lazarus":

Last edited:

DWhatley

Kraken
Staff member
Reaction score
Sadly, as you already know the chances of survival for cuttles born with a yolk sack not almost totally consumed are slim to none. However, I love the name and the hope that goes with it!

ekocak

Vampyroteuthis
Supporter
Reaction score
Yeah. He is moving occasionally, and freed himself of the yolk. I think the other one may be actually dead, but who knows. I think they may have hatched prematurely in transit.

DWhatley

Kraken
Staff member
Reaction score
I don't know if anyone has tried removing the yolk sack since it is their first food so it will be interesting to see if this helps (and if you can get him eating). With prior outcomes, it probably won't hurt.

ekocak

Vampyroteuthis
Supporter
Reaction score
Checked on everyone before bed. Lazarus is now alternating between swimming and resting, and is changing colors. I don't know what's become of the second one. Maybe he revived and moved, maybe he just rolled somewhere I can't see.

DWhatley

Kraken
Staff member
Reaction score
Look for a white blob in the cheato, that is where I found the one that I had that died (I never was sure if it was alive when I took it out since I did not know it was a cuttle. I suspect it was dead but was shocked to discover it was a cuttlefish the next day and not a piece of detritus.

Last edited: