Lawsuit being filed on Friday June 13th

Goal of Lawsuit

The reason I filed the lawsuit, was to have the court issue an order to Christopher Ilitch, to publicly state that methods will be implemented to guarantee that no real octopus bodies will be brought into the arena in the future. Every time I remember the man twirling the octopus like a lasso, it turns my stomach.
Octopus are caught for only 3 reasons: 1, food, 2, scientific research, and for pets. Not to be killed an their bodies used for our amusement.
If anyone is interested in this, you can contact me directly:
[email protected]

i forget where it was posted, but most of the lawsuits ive seen are basing thier cases off of one thing. apparently they have to have been refrigerated for 24 hours+ previous to sale. i may be quoting that wrong. man the red wings are screwed. theyre about to get hit with a lot of lawsuits. im surprised nobody addressed this earlier since its been around for a few years.

I watched part of Deadliest Catch once and had to turn it off; the sight of them hauling up hundreds to thousands of deep-sea crabs was too tragic for me. Made me feel sick.

:twocents:

Tintenfisch;120042 said:
I watched part of Deadliest Catch once and had to turn it off; the sight of them hauling up hundreds to thousands of deep-sea crabs was too tragic for me. Made me feel sick.

:twocents:

Really?? What do you eat? And in all seriousness I'm really interested. Everything we eat wheter it is farmed like cows or harvested like king crab is at the simplest form alot of life being prepared for human consumption. Those crabs have been being harvested for decades and due to the strict quota enforcement some of the largest numbers are being produced today. This is truely one example of how to properly farm the ocean.

there is a difference between the way an animal is used for, as you all say, "entertainment." attempting to keep it alive, healthy, and active in an aquarium, especially for educational purposes, is significantly different from throwing its dead body around in celebration. the first is constructive, the other destructive. therefore, using a cephalopod, or any animal, for constructive purposes does not make one as "guilty" as using it for destructive purposes- unless of course the government in question is pro-destruction. and using an animal as food is not destructive- it is the way of nature, that the predator eats the prey. however, in nature you will notice that animals eat only what they need- when was the last time a wild animal killed in surplus for the heck of it?

daddysquoc;120127 said:
there is a difference between the way an animal is used for, as you all say, "entertainment." attempting to keep it alive, healthy, and active in an aquarium, especially for educational purposes, is significantly different from throwing its dead body around in celebration. the first is constructive, the other destructive. therefore, using a cephalopod, or any animal, for constructive purposes does not make one as "guilty" as using it for destructive purposes- unless of course the government in question is pro-destruction. and using an animal as food is not destructive- it is the way of nature, that the predator eats the prey. however, in nature you will notice that animals eat only what they need- when was the last time a wild animal killed in surplus for the heck of it?

It's funny how the opinion varies to the degree of what they believe is constructive. There are alot of people and organizations that feel the same way about using an animal for study or as a pet as you feel towards using them in a sports ritual.

Chimpanzee groups raid other groups of chimpanzees and kill for the sole purpose of killing.

Killers whales and dolphins play with their kills smacking it out of the water like a toy.

Killer whales will kill blue whales and eat nothing more then the eyes and tongue leaving the rest of the carcus to scavengers.

Male lions defend and kill to protect their territory.

Elephants have been killing rhinos due to the lack of a dominant male elephant keeping them in check.

I think it is a stupid ritual also, but I do not believe it is worth the attention this guy thinks it needs in light of all the other issues and causes that could really make a difference.

Why would the Redwings be "screwed"? They aren't buying or selling the octopus, the people attending the game are.
The Redwings have nothing to do with it.

cthulhu77;120198 said:
Why would the Redwings be "screwed"? They aren't buying or selling the octopus, the people attending the game are.
The Redwings have nothing to do with it.

Exactly!! The Redwing's have actualliy implented a policy of not allowing octopus into the arena and they eject any fan caught sneeking one in. This lawsuit is ridiculous and is going after the money not the culprit.

This lawsuit is probably going to get thrown out of court as soon as it gets to a judge as the defendants are are being charged with the actions of persons they have no authority over and I'm sure that Patrick1948 understands that that. So most likely he is not seeking money damages, but is looking to increase media attention of a practice he would like to see end.

ive been told by a few friends (all red wings fanatics) that the red wings might be gettin sued over it. i was unaware that the red wings actually had a policy against it.

Attention all animal lovers in Michigan and Nationwide

This is Patrick Greene of San Antonio, Texas
I call on all animal lovers in Michigan to start petitions all over the state, to send to Christopher Ilitch of Ilitch Holdings. Tell him that you want him to make sure that no more animal bodies get into the Joe Louis Arena. This horrible tradition with the octopus must be stopped NOW!
Write me at:
[email protected]
If the lawsuit fails, then public pressure will do the job.
IF public pressure fails, then legislation in Lansing will do it.

I think that perhaps the horse that is dead and rotting has been flogged quite enough. Please keep one thread open, and let the others here read it.

I will say that, in MY opinion, not that of tonmo or any other spokesperson here, that this is an unmerited lawsuit. I disagree with filing such a thing.

You may as well tilt at the windmills of Asia, where they eat small octopus alive, and have had for centuries.

I won't weigh in on the lawsuit, but I will echo Greg's observation that we've had enough new threads started on this topic. Please no more announcements on this topic unless there is new news to report -- and don't start a new thread, but rather reply to an existing one. Thanks.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back