Latest site updates

tonmo

Cthulhu
Staff member
Site Owner
Hi all,

I made some minor changes to the homepage, to better differentiate the user experience between visitors and members/supporters/staff.

I also removed the "three-column" approach and have returned to a format I used some time ago.

Re: the unique experience, the attached screenshots show the difference. If you're not logged in, you get generic promotional information to better communicate what TONMO.com has to offer, at a high level. If you are logged in, that promotional area is hidden, since you already know what we've got (or at least most of it :wink:)...

The one of the left is the "logged out" view. The one on the right is the "logged in" view. You can try it for yourself, too! :smile:

Edit: tightened it up even further for the logged in view; attachment updated.

Attachments

• conv_302524.png
    conv_302524.png
    225.1 KB · Views: 112
Tony, the site seems to be dragging its heels a bit the last few days, is that through the tinkering?

Thanks -- meant to mention that. It's completely unrelated. Our server is absolutely having problems; I've been corresponding with our provider to try to learn what's up with this and why it's been so persistent. We should all assume for the moment that all the problems are behind us -- but I'll let you know if there are any significant discoveries on this issue. Thanks for your patience!

Tony, I like the new layout a lot. Excellent work.
I do have one minor request/suggestion: Would it be possible to include a link to "Subscribed Threads" in the User CP box in the top-right of the home page? As it stands you need to go into Forums before you can get to your subscribed threads.

Ok, that was easy. Note that in the past, you COULD have just clicked on the words "User CP" (at the top of the box), which would take you directly to new subscribed threads (and presumably any new replies). But the link I just inserted will take you directly to the "view all" list. Enjoy!

Did "birthdays today" disappear, or am I just not finding it in the new layout, or does it not show up when it's no one's birthday? As long as I'm mentioning that, it might be nice if that were somewhere visible without scrolling down, too, like maybe in the same box as the "who's online now" or something...

You know... I did remove the birthday thing. I didn't think anyone would miss it! And I was removing it to cut down on any extranneous processing time so as to help the site load more quickly. But here we are... so I've put it back, but not above the fold... that's the prime real estate!

It's not showing, but it has been reactivated -- so perhaps it doesn't show when there are no birthdays... I'll keep an eye on it, maybe I'm missing something...

tonmo said:
You know... I did remove the birthday thing. I didn't think anyone would miss it! And I was removing it to cut down on any extranneous processing time so as to help the site load more quickly. But here we are... so I've put it back, but not above the fold... that's the prime real estate!

It's not showing, but it has been reactivated -- so perhaps it doesn't show when there are no birthdays... I'll keep an eye on it, maybe I'm missing something...

Well, although I find your birthday easy to remember, I find it nice to get reminders of everyone else's... :mrgreen:

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back