• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Latest on Octopets - Not good news

about the amphis. i know someone who is testing a new amphipod/coapapod culture idea that works amazingly well. instead of starting with a few in your tank and letting them breed this is based on the same principal as sea monkey eggs. they are dry when you get them and there are thousands of them. you place them in the water and within a week your tank is covered in so many that sometimes thats all you see. this is supposed to be on the market in like 2 months! i didnt believe him at first but ive watched the progress in his tank and its unreal.

joefish, that seems like that's something I might be interested in, as I am sure that many others are also, can you give some detail as to where to find them when they become available? Tanks a tonne for the info.

I own an LFS and must say that I have seen next to zero cephs on my lists in the last 5-6 months. Only ceph listed is the blue ring.

I do business with 2 of the "big players" in LA as well as 6 or so other assorted importers and transhippers.

Hopefully the loss of octopets will help spark either another octo farm, or better collection availability.

If I see any on lists, Ill be sure and let folks know so they can harrass there LFS.

Joel
Waves Marine & Reef

yeah ill let yall know about the coapopod stuff when it comes out. my friends said hed try to get some of the stuff for me soon so ill get to let yall know how well it works first hand.

Wow...No more Fed Ex trucks from Octopets...That is indeed sad.....Wonder why bluerings seem to be so easy to order in? Maybe because they are more close to the shore? Last time I was out in Pa, they said they too had just ordered a bluering for a customer. Don't know why shops do or even offer these little guys.

Because bluerings are pretty and inexperienced poeple like to but cephs into tanks that are usually too small, not escape proof and have no idea where a Bluering comes from. (Let's hope that they at least know not to let the Bluering bite them...)

No, this is not the end of our octopuses. Maybe we were wrong to depend so much on one source.

Some of our members are interested in breeding octopuses, or at least raising hatchlings. This will be one source for the future.

But, the LFSs are getting wild caught octos in - it's not impossible to find one. There seem to be more available on the local level than from the big online stores. I think we all should report in on the availability of octos at local LFSs and keep everyone informed.

For instance, I know Fish Supply is getting a few in and we've had good experiences buying from them. Also, they ship well.

Nancy

i wouldent go so far as to say this is the end of the octopus, but to say that octo's are taking a vacation at the current time would fit. or well captive bred ones that is. live cought are still coming in

Marine Depot still says they have two octopus in stock. They claim them to be Octopus bimaculatus but I doubt they can differentiate it from O. bimaculoides.

I have gone back and forth a little bit with them about their octopuses via email. I casually remarked at one point that there's a market, albeit small, for captive-bred octopus, and a larger fish company that already had all the equipment and employees could probably make a bit of profit off them.

They politely corrected me, letting me know there is little interest in octopus at this time.

Dan

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back