Larger species recommendations?

i was thinking...thats really expensive for an octopus that usually ends up hacked into pieces for bait.

I suppose it's simply a matter of supply and demand. He typically is fairly high on prices, but he gets a lot of exotic sharks and rays. He seemed pretty certain of the species. I'll see monday, before paying.

My preferred LFS (Aquarium Concepts in Dublin, CA) gets various species once in a while, and they're typically ~$40, and I have a standing order for a pair - as well as mate for my shovelnose guitarfish. Coolest ray ever.

I'm going down to SoCal in a few weeks to a spot my buddy says he sees octopus whenever he dives, and it's open for fishing - so I'm going to dive and see if I can't catch a pair of Bimacs. The tank can easily be converted to cold water (has a monster chiller on the system, and nobody else will be living there, as the eels will go to my big tank).

If they are found close together, they may be fine. Bimacs are the only other species we have on record as living peacfully with sibblings but we really don't know what happened as they grew up since the member who raised them went off to college and his dad did not keep contact. We do know that there was a tank mating but that is the end of the reporting.

Well, I figure I'd aim for a pair in the 225, provided they're small bimacs - and I have a few spare tanks, including my 300 gallon QT tank, that would suffice, if two tanks are necessary.

If my supplier is indeed bringing in a small cyanea, then it will be alone in the tank, with some edible tankmates. I really enjoy my inverts - even in the shark tank, my urchins and starfish are quite interesting - in fact, people always mistake my huge serpent star for an octopus, when he sticks a few arms out and snags a silverside.

By chance, is your silver side snatching serpent green?

I have had the same visitor case of mistaken identity but I had a neighbor argue with me (we had been drinking adult beveraged), insisting she saw one of my mercs. Then again, Neal and I have been momenarily fooled ourselves on occassion.

Yup - and it was one of the first critters into that tank. When it's feeding time, it's like watching a stop motion animation as it clambers out of it's nest to find food. It's now about 14" across - it's amazing it's survived this long. In that tank are a horn shark, nurse shark (please, no one jump down my throat about nurse sharks, it's a rescue, and it's going into a much bigger tank when it's older), guitarfish, miniatus grouper, blueline grouper, black saddled grouper, and a six line grouper/soapfish. Last addition will be a true zebra shark - stegostoma fasciatum.

For years I swore there must be two kinds (and am still not 100% sure that there are not). Mr Green Jeans was moved from tank to tank because he kept losing parts of his arms to other clean up crew (mostly hermits). He finally ended up in one of the octo tanks (after keeping him at least 4 years) and grew without losing arm parts then he started getting big. Not as big as many I have seen (at least not yet) but his growth rate was amazing. He also started becoming aggressive toward anything that was put into the tank so he was moved again. We felt he was big enough and agressive enough to be put back in with hermits when I reclaimed the merc tank (for a mercatoris) but had to isolate him again when his arm tips started getting shorter. How long have you had yours and how much has it grown (percentage) in the period? I would not trust him with an octo now, or any fish but am afraid he will out grow the 30 that is now his home if he has another growth spurt.

It's grown about 150% (from ~6" across) since August of this year. The starfish are my cleanup crew. There are also 4-5 chocolate chip stars, and a couple of random stars in there. I'll post up some pics from work.

Pics of my big tank and inhabitants - unfortunately the cownose rays passed away due to a bacterial infection that was treated incorrectly:

4085142008_eb097bee27_b.jpg

3965659873_26fdae8fdb_b.jpg

3966426570_de2aa857f5_b.jpg

4013763241_18515516bb_b.jpg

4013778635_45025c9f45_b.jpg

There are several species of smaller octopus common in Hawaii - not all of them even named yet. Just because it is small, does not mean it will be a juvenile cyanea. However, if they have the false eye spot like the one I posted above, they probably are O. cyanea as advertized.

Roy

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back