• TONMOCON VII Announced | MBL at Woods Hole | Apr 6-8, 2018
  • Thanks for visiting! TONMO is the world's greatest online cephalopod enthusiast community, with interactive content going back to May of 2000, and a biennial conference. If you'd like to join in on the fun, become a TONMO member -- it's easy and free. You can follow us on Facebook and Twitter for more cephy goodness.

Large Squid Identification

gjbarord

Sepia elegans
Staff member
A friend of mine had this squid pulled up in a trawl net off of the coast of Washington and I was wondering if anyone could identify the squid from the pictures.

Greg

Attachments

Taollan

Vampyroteuthis
Supporter
I am almost positive that it is Onykia robusta. The only two large squid that are caught of the coast of Washington that I know of is Dosidicus gigas and O. robusta. The tentacle of this animal appears to have a "fixing apparatus" on the proximal end of the manus. Onykia have this and Dosidicus does not.
All that being said, Does your friend still have this? I would humbly gravel for some tissue samples. Onykia trawled in Washington are few and far between and I am currently doing a study of large squid in the area and could really use them if possible. Have scalpel will travel.

Members online

No members online now.