Large Red Octopus or Juvi Giant Pacific Octo?

uzun

Pygmy Octopus
Registered
I was diving at La Jolla shores in San Diego, and came across a large (for the species) Red Octopus, Octopus rubescens. At least I assumed it was Octopus rubescens at the time. I did think it was odd in that it was considerably larger than the normal red octopus around here, but didn't think much of it (the head was the size of a large lemon, more like a medium sized Two Spot octopus rather than a red octopus).

I was shooting video of jellyfish along the wall at the time, but upon reviewing the animal I now think it might be a very young Giant Pacific Octopus. Although I've never heard of any this far south, at least not at diving depths.

Is there any way to tell if an animal is a juvenile Giant Pacific Octopus vs a Red Octopus based on appearance on a video snippet alone? I will say it behaved more like I would expect a red octopus to behave, it wasn't very shy and if I wanted to I could have videotaped it for a while, it just didn't occur to me it was anything special at the time. I wish now I had videotaped it more.

-Roger Uzun
[email protected]
San Diego, CA

Could you perchance post the snippet? This would certainly prove a help in identifying said specimen....

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back