• TONMOCON VII Announced | MBL at Woods Hole | Apr 6-8, 2018
  • Thanks for visiting! TONMO is the world's greatest online cephalopod enthusiast community, with interactive content going back to May of 2000, and a biennial conference. If you'd like to join in on the fun, become a TONMO member -- it's easy and free. You can follow us on Facebook and Twitter for more cephy goodness.

Large Red Octopus or Juvi Giant Pacific Octo?

uzun

Pygmy Octopus
Registered
I was diving at La Jolla shores in San Diego, and came across a large (for the species) Red Octopus, Octopus rubescens. At least I assumed it was Octopus rubescens at the time. I did think it was odd in that it was considerably larger than the normal red octopus around here, but didn't think much of it (the head was the size of a large lemon, more like a medium sized Two Spot octopus rather than a red octopus).

I was shooting video of jellyfish along the wall at the time, but upon reviewing the animal I now think it might be a very young Giant Pacific Octopus. Although I've never heard of any this far south, at least not at diving depths.

Is there any way to tell if an animal is a juvenile Giant Pacific Octopus vs a Red Octopus based on appearance on a video snippet alone? I will say it behaved more like I would expect a red octopus to behave, it wasn't very shy and if I wanted to I could have videotaped it for a while, it just didn't occur to me it was anything special at the time. I wish now I had videotaped it more.

-Roger Uzun
uzun@san.rr.com
San Diego, CA

OB

Colossal Squid
Staff member
Could you perchance post the snippet? This would certainly prove a help in identifying said specimen....

Members online

No members online now.