Lappets

Yes Kevin
Unfortunately my macro doesn't show this feature due to preservation but I was glad the micro was so complete.
I don't know of to many late Cretaceous ammonites which show this.
Rick

Russian perisphinctid microconchs

Here's two Russian Jurassic perisphinctid ammonites (Indosphinctes sp.), 49 and 53 mm, with lappets. There are microconchs, from the Lower Callovian beds in Ryazan region.

Attachments

• conv_298296.jpg
    conv_298296.jpg
    285.2 KB · Views: 144
  • conv_298297.jpg
    conv_298297.jpg
    377.6 KB · Views: 130
Thank you very much!
Here's another one Russian Jurassic ammonite - Pavlovia raricostata, 45 mm, from Late Jurassic (Tithonian). These ammonites, both microconchs and macroconhs have simple apertures without lappets.

Attachments

• conv_298312.jpg
    conv_298312.jpg
    358 KB · Views: 111
Rescuing old books being discarded from a library this lunchtime I came across this 1895 image of Hoplites hyatti (type specimen) in an article on "Cretaceous Paleontology of the Pacific Coast" by Timothy Stanton.

Attachments

• conv_299986.jpg
    conv_299986.jpg
    922.3 KB · Views: 115
Amazing how intricate some of the patterns are. This one would have surely been something exceptional to see. I wonder if the animal was more complex or visually ornate in the more complex shells.

It is not hard to imagine they looked more like that than how we normally picture the animal part. I wonder if color was always a part of life rather than something that evolved. If you think about it minerals were likely more exposed and plentiful so you might expect animals to take on the colors through eating.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back