Land-Walking Octopus Explained [Video] - Scientific American (blog)

octobot

Robotic Staff
Staff member
Robotic Staff

[SIZE=-2]Scientific American (blog)[/SIZE]

Land-Walking Octopus Explained [Video]
[SIZE=-1]Scientific American (blog)[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]The slimy-looking cephalopod, captured in a rare video crawling over land, has many people (queasily) asking whether such bizarre-looking behavior is unusual for these animals. The video, recorded at the ...[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]Octopus caught on camera walking around on dry land[SIZE=-1]WXYZ[/SIZE][/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]An octopus walks right out of the water - video[SIZE=-1]Zap2it.com (blog)[/SIZE][/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]A Walking Octopus? Biologists Explain Bizarre Video[SIZE=-1]The Inquisitr[/SIZE][/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]International Business Times -Daily Mail -CBS News[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]all 10 news articles »[/SIZE]

More...

Unfortunately, this article does NOT explain the behavior. It verifies that intertidal animals will crawl out of the water but that is not the odd part of the video. This animal exited the water with a crab, carried the crab a distance from where it left the water, and deposited the crab (presumably the crab is dead, I asked but got no verification) and returned to almost the same place it exited. Either senesence or brooding are that only two things that make sense to me and I have seen closely related behavior in prebrood/early brooding females.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back