• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Ladybugs

Re: ruh-roh!

supernick said:
if "pudge"hasnt died, dont let it near any more. if he STILL dosnt die, feed him another. if then he dies, :goofysca: if not , they might be good for it.

might
haha, that is funny. :P
How did a labybug get in your tank anyways??

They fly in to the back of the tank, climb on the filter and die in the water, I think.
Turns out that he did spit it out, a while ago I found a ladybug in his shell floating in the high point things.

My dog will eat almost anything, but grapes or chocolate she won't touch and these things are poisonous to dogs.

i knew chocolate was very bad but i never knew that grapes were poisonous to dogs, why is that?

How odd! My spanial Sam used to eat grapes occasionally.....never seemed to do him any harm (he lived to be ten, and had to eventually go when a combination of severe arthritis and alzheimers got too much for him :cry: :cry: ). Inerestingly Seamus (also a spaniel) won't have a bar of them end he's been known to eat octopus chips (on topic :lol: ) , vegemite and the odd plant pot!!

J

Well, I can't resist chiming in here, too -

My Dachshund Strudel loved chocolate and once got into a whole box of chocolate (while we were out) and even ate the foil wrappers. Yes, he had an upset stomach! And he was very fond of Fudgesicles, which didn't upset his stomach (but he only got a bite now and again).

Strudel scooped up anything that fell on the kitchen floor while I was cooking dinner, including grapes.

He lived until the ripe old age of 15.

Ollie Octopus, on the the other hand, has no interest in either chocolate or grapes!

Nancy

My dog doesn't eat chocolate, but can't get enough horse poo, and her sister ate dirty diapers and my sisters underwear down in Iowa.

Another question - Pudge hasn't been coming out as much, he just brings all his marbles and crab shells in his shell, since I put the black serpent star in, and the serpent star just sits in Pudge's big, cozy den waving its thingys. Should I take it back?

Try taking the serpent star out again. If it's so much bigger than Pudge that it can drive him from his den, it may be the reason Pudge is laying low. You want to create a happy, non-threatening environment for Pudge.

Nancy

Thanks Nancy, I lured it out with krill and put it in the five gallon, it'll go back to the LFS tommorrow.
One more question: Besides size, what is the difference between bimaculoides and bimaculoites? I tried looking it up on cephbase but my computer is crap and won't load it. I think it has to do with the eye spots.....

HI Nick,

Do you mean bimaculatus and bimaculoides? If so then according to Normans Cephs of the world bimaculoides is more active during the day, smaller (arms to 35cm vs arms to 80cm) larger egg size and a different eye spot (ocellus) to bimaculatus! The difference in eye spot is that bimaculoides has a ring in the form of unbroken chain links and bimaculatus has a ring in the form of broken chain links!!!! :read: :grad:

hope this helps

J

Thanks Jean,
Last night I saw something on a piece of rock that looked like an orange serpent star arm, did my black one have babys? I took out the rock ( it was the one with the anemones) and put it in to Moo the cowfishes tank.

Not terrifically likely Nick, there are only a few stars that brood, the rest broadcast spawn (ie chuck eggs & sperm into the water and hope for the best!) The larvae then spend some time in the plankton. You probably have another star! they're pretty good at hiding or maybe even one of the worm family! if it is a worm Moo may enjoy the snack!

cheers

J

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back