Kringles Journal

I have found with this species, size is not a good clue on age. Tiny Serendipity and very small Maya started brooding after 2 weeks where Octane (about the size of Kringle I think) was a large male when he arrived and still lived 7 months as did somewhat smaller OhToo. :fingerscrossed: Kringle is male and not fully grown.

That's good to hear Di! Saltwaterfish.com has proven to me to be very reliable. They gave me a credit from 2 years ago, which they still had on file and yes that is correct on the 15 day. He ate my hermit crab! I had hoped he would leave it alone, but this morning there was obvious carnage over night. He's sitting in the opening of the synthetic cave looking very relaxed and happy with himself! I noticed he has one tiny arm in the middle. Not sure if this is regrowth, as it is very tiny compared to the rest of his legs. I added to my cleanup crew with a pencil urchin, 5 snails and tiny hermit crabs. (the one he ate was a freebie from the petshop as it was in a tank by itself, so the guy gave it to me). So far so good, after is questionable arrival. What do you think Di of the one arrival shot that I think was him in shock?

I'm concerned. His appetite is not the norm. He ate the first day, quite a bit of a large shrimp. Yesterday, he took it but kept dropping it. I offered a piece of scallop, fresh fish, and the shrimp which he kept picking it up but looks like he hardly ate any of it. The large hermit I thought he ate, switched shells. There are 2 feeder crabs in the tank he has no interest in. During the day he comes out and is brown, pacing the sides of the tank. At night he goes back to his den, sits for a few minutes black and white, spikey goes inside and sleeps the night. Today I am going back to the seafood place and a petshop for prawn and fresh shrimp. Think being it was farmraised, I need to hit a seafood place closer to the ocean. Still keeping :fingerscrossed:

Octane and OhToo (the two males I have kept) always went to bed at lights out. Octane would often be in mid swim to his den when the timer turned the lights out. OhToo ate less than half of what Octane did, in spite of Neal's coaxing :wink:

Your first photo looks exactly like mine. Mine inked 1 hour into acclimation, was unable to offer food before release. I will try tomorrow if I see it out. I will not rest easy until it eats. I will be following along and keeping my :fingerscrossed: for you. I am just grateful it is still alive.

Last night on my arrival home, after a mad 1/2 hour dash to the seafood store, purchasing new shrimp, a few mussels and I bought a package of prawn from the LFS, Kringle was out on the front of the tank but this time he was observing, not the pacing of the last 2 days. He was changing colors as I approached the tank. I offered him shrimp, he took it seemed to munch a little and then dropped it. So I offered prawn. No interest whatsoever, but the crabs were happy so then I'm retrieving the piece of shrimp and notice a shiny empty snail shell. He ate a snail! I'm so happy! I'm glad to hear the difference in feeding with the 2 you had Di. Even Jess noticed he was observing when I called for my octo report. And again he went to bed around 7pm and is still sleeping this morn.:smile:

Last night, He caught quite a large crab and ate it! I also noticed all my shore shrimp have disappeared. I just ordered fiddler crabs and shore shrimp from aquaculture. Today we are going to a different LPS for more creatures for him to eat before my order comes in. Obviously he favors live food at the moment.

It seems both of ours are refusing frozen. I saw Poe take down one of Paul's large shrimp not without difficulty. Poe hunted it all day. We have a camera on the tank, we sped it up, we laughed as she tried over and over. She expended so much energy I began to worry. I share in your relief knowing she has finally eaten, it is like a weight lifted off my conscious. I have been trying to get a hold of Paul for 2 days, he isn't answering my emails. Going to call him, I need crabs too. I am upgrading to 1 day shipping, my last order, all were DOA. If it is below freezing I won't chance 2 day again. I am very happy with my little Poe.
Your journal is what gave me the push I needed to try SWF so thanks for that. :wink:

The largest snail in the tank was dinner tonight. Jess and I came home around 6. Ran to the tank and she says, "Mom...I think he's dead...why else would he be white?" Well dinner was caught and devoured right next to a white PVC piece of pipe, so hence his "white look". He paces on the left side of the tank, and we figured out tonight he's pacing to his reflection in the glass. I'm not sure if he is trying to get to the "other" octopus to fight, but he does this on both ends of the tank. All the attached pics were taken within a 10 minute time period. I made the mistake of flashing him once, so now every time I went to take a pic, he flinches. I felt really bad! And I am sooo relieved he's eating! He did eat a piece of shrimp the first day he was here, but has refused all other. I bought more snails yesterday, and obviously he liked the more expensive large one. I'm hoping the crabs and shrimp I ordered come in ok, I paid for additional padding in the container, so keeping fingers crossed! And you are welcome! I'm very happy too I took a chance!!!!

I know we see their reflection especially in photos but I always thought they just saw through the glass.
Poe did eat a couple snails the first day but now she just grabs them off the glass and drops them. Unfortuantely they usually land upside down. My crabs and shore shrimp from Paul will ship Monday and arrive Tuesday. She has been out and active all day. tonight she didn't go to her den as usual, she is still on the glass cruising around. Anything different makes me worry a bit. :fingerscrossed: for your order to arrive alive.

We found that when Octane would cruise at night, something was keeping him awake. Two things I remember were the moon light that would turn from either the red or blue setting to white after a power outage and running the washing machine at night (it vibrated the tank because it sits against the opposite side of the wall supporting the tank).

I bought some of those red claw fiddler crabs. I feel really mean. Kringle was out pacing on one end of the tank, but came to the front as soon as he saw me by the tank. I dropped the fiddler in, and he saw it immediately and changed so many different colors and textures, I took a few shots, but they are not as clear as I would like. He continues to sleep all night in the cave, but I noticed the pacing is becoming less and less. I'm hoping to receive my crab order tomorrow as NJ is expecting another storm tues into wed.

Have you tired scallops? Poe has accepted them 3 days in a row. I like the tiny bay scallops then I don't have to cut them, and they hold together better. I am planning to try shrimp again too. Just hang in there and keep trying. Is your crab order comming from Paul. I have fiddlers and shore shrimp shipping out today overnight shipping is very $$ but last order took 3 days and all were DOA. I hope yours gets to you in good shape.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back