[Octopus]: Kraken - Abdopus aculeatus

Little morning update, Kraken devoured a meaty blue leg hermit last night and this morning accepted half of a silverside off a skewer, it was pretty awesome feeling it rip the spearing off the skewer! Blue lights are on now, I will take a couple pictures when the whites come on.

Consider using red lights or limiting the blue lights for night and including a long period of no light, there is physical suggestion that blue may be even brighter than white for their eyes. Red light, on the other hand is not well detected and is a better "night light" color for cephs.

Consider using red lights or limiting the blue lights for night and including a long period of no light, there is physical suggestion that blue may be even brighter than white for their eyes. Red light, on the other hand is not well detected and is a better "night light" color for cephs.
Sorry I think I phrased that wrong, the blue lights turn on at 9AM for 2 hours then its a combo of white/blue, at 7PM its mostly blue and lights completely out at 8PM. No moonlights on that tank.

You could also have a long period of no light during the day, and just rely on ambient lighting. Do you have a lot of corals that need bright light? Obviously you are using LEDs on your tank

Nancy

You could also have a long period of no light during the day, and just rely on ambient lighting. Do you have a lot of corals that need bright light? Obviously you are using LEDs on your tank

Nancy
I have low light corals. The photoperiod is 10 hours and 14 hours of total darkness.

Update: I fed this morning and we have a girl! I took some absolutely horrendous photos but I figure its better to post them then not right?

Attachments

• F51D895C-7096-4017-A514-363FE895BC57.jpeg
    F51D895C-7096-4017-A514-363FE895BC57.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 84
  • EC3D2662-1A89-4FCF-AA04-AA59DC0782A6.jpeg
    EC3D2662-1A89-4FCF-AA04-AA59DC0782A6.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 107
Update: I fed this morning and we have a girl!

Just so I am on the same page (since I can't tell from the photos - and yes quality is not part of the posting criteria :wink:), you think Omikron is a girl because she uses her third right arm equally with the others and does NOT keep it tightly curled?

Just so I am on the same page (since I can't tell from the photos - and yes quality is not part of the posting criteria :wink:), you think Omikron is a girl because she uses her third right arm equally with the others and does NOT keep it tightly curled?
I think *Kraken :smile: is a girl because of cups on her third right arm and doesnt curl it up. She even uses it to take food off the skewer.

Oops, I was looking at my mail when responding and used the name on another post. I have changed the title so I won't make the same mistake in the future :oops:
Lack of cups at the tip would actually be a male trait but equal use would tend toward female. Males don't tend to carry their third right arm curled until they are sexually mature so sometimes it takes awhile before the sex is identified since there are no other outward characteristics to observe in a female.

Oops, I was looking at my mail when responding and used the name on another post. I have changed the title so I won't make the same mistake in the future :oops:
Lack of cups at the tip would actually be a male trait but equal use would tend toward female. Males don't tend to carry their third right arm curled until they are sexually mature so sometimes it takes awhile before the sex is identified since there are no other outward characteristics to observe in a female.
Ah I meant Cups not lack of cups! Sorry only one cup of coffee today! I edited the other post to include that.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back