Kooah - O.briareus

Discussion in 'Cephalopod Journals' started by DWhatley, Mar 10, 2010.

1. DWhatley

DWhatley Cthulhu Staff Member Moderator

I received an email this weekend that Kara had come across an octo while out collecting (www.sealifeinc.net) so she captured it for me. KaySoh is still with me but is listless and very weak so we know the end is near but I don't have a spare tank for a new one. Knowing KaySoh will not move about and that the new one will stay hidden for a week or two, we improvised and built a barrier on both sides of the crossover tubes using opaque plastic pegboard and zip ties.

I have not gotten a good look at this one yet but my guess is about midlife, maybe slightly older than SueNami when he came. The arms are quite thick but length and sex are yet to be determined. I offered a piece of shrimp while she (for now) was acclimating but there was no interest.

Like most other acclimating briareus, she did not leave the container for over an hour. She did show signs of exploring though by putting her suckers through some of the holes and either "sniffing" the water or touching the live rock. at one point she put the tip of an arm through, wiggled it around but then quickly withdrew it in favor putting just the larger suckers through the hole. You can see a sucker pad being shed and another drifting in the water near by in the second photo.

The name is one given to the collector when she babysat as a teen. The young child could not say Kara so it came out Kooah.

Attached Files:

2. DWhatley

I just (1:00 AM) went downstairs to see if she had come out. The tank has no night lighting and when I turned on the red flashlight she was out on the back wall but I never saw an octopus move so fast. She was back down into the rock before I could get any kind of look at her. I tried a piece of shrimp on a stick to see if she might be tempted to take some food but she showed no interest. I did notice that I could not find the fiddler that was on her side of the tank though.

Attached Files:

3. Omega

Omega GPO Registered

gorgeous im jealous =] cant wait to see more

4. DWhatley

Me either :wink:

5. Lmecher

Lmecher Larger Pacific Striped Octopus Registered

I'm excited also.
    So sad about Kaysoh :sad:

6. CaptFish

CaptFish Colossal Squid Staff Member Moderator

Congrats! :notworth:

Whats that new TV show?...oh yeah Horders!...I think i'm going to send in to them see if they want to do episode on an octo horder!. :roflmao:

7. Lmecher

I'm not saying a word. :silenced:

8. DWhatley

It is hard not to be very optomistic about this one. Tonight he was out just after 11:00 PM and decided that I was not too scary so he came to the front and let me "pet" him through the glass. After an hour of wandering the glass with my finger he went to the back and I played with Puddles. He was out again and did not spook when I went to the tank and took a couple of flash pictures. After my eyes started to readjust, he came back out and directly to the corner where I was stroking the glass.

I am switching to "he". During part of his exploration, I noticed the third arm to the right curled :grin:, then I noticed that the first and second arm were also curled :hmm:. Just at that moment, he curled the ends of both the first and second arms to the left (for no apparent reason):lol:. It did look like one arm had enlarged suckers but I am hoping for some daylight time soon to get a better look.

The photos don't show it well but his mantle looks small for the thickness of his arms at the webbing. The arms are of varying lengths and all but one have noticable new growth (my guess is two months worth). He is showing a lot of curiosity and has interacted in one night more than Creepy and KaySoh combined. I just hope this excessive speed to interact is not the beginning of senescence. We will see what he remembers tomorrow.:grin:

Attached Files:

9. corw314

corw314 Colossal Squid Staff Member Moderator

Congrats Di!!! I'm jealous! I used to love having 2 octopuses in the house....maybe time to figure out where I could place another tank!! :)

10. sulley

sulley Wonderpus Registered

thats great d

11. davelin315

davelin315 Wonderpus Registered

Very cool, I like the tank a lot, too! I wonder how much interaction you might get if you took one of the pegboards away so that they could get next to each other and reach some arms through. When I had the two dying off from temperature shock in my tank, they perked up when they saw each other and became a bit aggressive. I wonder if some exposure to another octopus might cause some feeding response.

12. CaptFish

Briareus are know to be particularly aggressive and cannibalistic. The most likely result would be a battle resulting in the death of at least one animal.

13. Lmecher

Thats great that you got a chance to see him and interact. He looks good. Ollie didn't react negatively to the flash in the eraly days. Now I just would rather not spook him, we have made such good progress.

14. CaptFish

In the beginning Legs was also unaffected by the camera and the flash, It actually seemed like she enjoyed it. Maybe this is common among Briareus. It could also have to do with there poor eye sight. I snapped a pic of Legs a week or so ago and it did seem to bother her she flinch and was scared back to her den.

15. DWhatley

This little guy is sooo exceptional! He was a little slow to come out tonight (we put Creepy's red light on the tank so that may have been part of the reason) but Neal did get to see a little of him. Eventually, he really started showing off and doing some remarkable things with his arms (bending and straightening them like a whip, rotating them on the glass using his suckers in strange movement) and molding his body to the LR and sand. I sat and watched him for close to two hours. He did not come up to me like yesterday but was aware of my presence as I sat on the couch in front of the tank and walked my fingers around. He was startled a couple of time and showed that impossibly fast fluid movement I saw yesterday.

I finally got up to feed Puddles (across the room) and when I turned around he was on the wall in the center of the tank and moved to the upper corner where we played yesterday when I approached the tank. I knew it was too early for touching but could not resist the offer. He accepted a finger on his mantle as he slowly slid along the tank and showed no signs of fear when his arms slid through my fingers UNTIL the tips of his arms touched my hand. Not until then did he make sucker contact and was using these new tips (as mentioned earlier all arms have about 2 months replacement growth) to explore my fingers and the webbing between them. Something did not taste right or he realized I was touching him because he inked and disappeared into the LR.

I checked on him a couple of times and about 4:30 AM he poked his head out and was curious again so I am hoping we are go for more advernture tomorrow. This one is definitely turing out to be special.

16. CaptFish

Wow!m sounds like you finally got a real socialite! :octorun:

17. Lmecher

octpous whisperer:octorun:

18. DWhatley

Neal said I should have added a megaphone or an ear to my staff photo :wink:

This guy still continues to fascinate me (OK, that doesn't take much but ...). He exhibits such different behavior that I am afraid I won't get it all recorded. His arms are extremely muscular at the base (compared to mantle size, most obvious in the acclimation picture where he is inside the jar). I often see him hugging LR with the upper part of the arm - close to the mouth - and hanging attached to the largest cave entrance (will take a photo but just don't want to scare him). Knowing that the arms are muscle, I wonder if this behavior is the reason for the thickness of the arms. When he is moving along the LR, he stays very flattened and takes on the contour almost like a liquid as he moves. I am hoping he will continue to do this when he comes out during daylight so I can video but so far he seems to have his biologic clock set to wake at 11:00 PM.

We played a little hide-and-seek last night. I was trying to determine if they really look you in the eye. I took a black towel and hid my face and then moved the towel to expose different parts of my face. I can't say that I noticed anything specific (it is hard to determine what is going on when you are behind a towel :roll:) and need to refine the idea but after awhile he came to the glass and went to the top corner so I offered my hand. This time he did not touch but would bring his arms within a quarter of an inch, move away and then come back.

He seems to know I am not paying attention to him when I feed Puddles and watches what I do when I go across the room. When I reapproach his tank, he come out quickly if he is not already out.

No way to interpret any of this but I want to try recording what I see to be able to look back later. Right now I am just really enjoying this guy who badly needs a name (Neal did not like any of my owl names so he remains "the new guy" for now).

19. DWhatley

Body Molding

Kooah, unless Neal rejects the name :hmm:, shows more substrate molding than any of the octopuses we have kept. When he comes out of the front cave entrance he is tightly shaped to the rockwork and does this whenever he is moving about the aquarium. If he ever decides to come out with the lights on, and continues the practice, I will video but I hate to take too many flash photos. If you look at the arms in the photo, you can see why I think the extremely thick muscle at the webbing may have to do with life style. He attaches himself and uses the fully webbed section to hang on and manuver. He also does a very strange arm whip with the longest and thickest arm when he is on the glass that I hope to video eventually.

Attached Files:

20. DWhatley

Kooah continues to delight and be unusual in his/her behavior as well a physique.

He does not curl the appropriate third arm to the right but does curl the second one. I have seen suggestions that the hectocotylized arm is not always the third to the right but don't know if this is species dependent or an occassional oddity in individuals (Need help here if anyone knows of a reference). I can't get a clear look at the second arm since he still shuns white light but I can tell it is short. Hopefully I can get a clear picture of it in the next week or so to tell if there is a channel along the edge.

He has taken a live crab from me and one from Neal and has started being somewhat less paranoid about touching our hands. After he took the live crab from me last night (with arm tip only) he tried to pull my hand into the tank for a short time (only after the crab was secure in his webbing though). He took the crab from Neal tonight, again with just the arm tip, and then explored his hand without grabbing. After playing with Puddles, I went back to the tank and he came up to my fingers and let me touch him below the eyes but when he decided to touch my finger he freaked out again and zoomed to the LR. He has only inked twice with this panic and each panic attack is less panicy than the last. This time he came back out fairly quickly and back toward my hand but not up to it.

This is the second or third time I have noticed and mentioned that octos may be aware of attention given to other animals or things. It is hard to tell if this is really happening but it seems to effect their willingness to play or want human attention.