[Octopus]: Kobe - Abdopus aculeatus

The problem is it is open on most of the sides and the crab could crawl out before he has a chance to see it. Here is the last pic of the night when he wasn't camera shy, :smile:.

Attachments

• Pic 5.jpeg
    Pic 5.jpeg
    85.4 KB · Views: 261
Thanks. I am lucky I have one that is definitely not too camera shy and loves being out in the light.

He is beautiful! Lucky indeed that he's loving the light and not camera shy :smile:

I have read about plastic baby toys are octo safe so is this true also of plastic toys designed for pets?

I set that house up a year ago and as yet, it has caused no issues. Kobe (yes, he has a name now) has been in the tank for two weeks and seems to have acclimated fine so far. In fact, earlier this evening he was sitting on top of it. Of course as soon as he saw me, he moved off it and back on the front glass (so no pic :cry:). Something else I noticed today is the black mollie that I was using for a bio-load while waiting to get another octo is missing and presumed eaten (not broken-hearted about that). Kobe has also eaten pieces of frozen shrimp several times this week. I plan on treating him with a live crab this weekend. :smile: I'll keep the updates coming.

Also, I like to add there have been other invertebrates living in the tank since I set up the critter house; including a queen conch, hermit crabs and snails. I have had the conch in the tank for over 2 years.

Oops, sorry Dools, I was responding to MissPH's comment about pet toys. Anything all plastic like that should be well up to salt water immersion. Dog (or other animal toys) sometimes have dyes, paints or soft materials that will corrode in saltwater but toys properly made for animals that chew on things (like hamsters) are likely to be aquarium safe.

No worries D and I'm sorry about your recent loss. Kobe is still doing very well. He is out and active under the lights every day. I have noticed he has placed empty shells around two places in the tank, not sure if he has two dens. He does seem to sleep most of the time at only one of the locations. I will post new videos of him later today. He is by far the best octo I have had (he is the 7th) since I set up this tank 2+ years ago.

Here is a vid of Kobe eating a piece of shrimp. He alternates eating his food on the glass as he does in this video or taking it down into the rocks for more privacy. D, is it possible to edit the title of this thread to add Kobe's name? I tried, but was not able to do so.

I have a couple of new vids that I am posting. The first is of an experiment. I put a live crab inside a plastic container with a snap on lid. As ypu can see from the video, Kobe gets the crab out in only a few mins. He then took the crab and the lid to his den and held on to the lid until he was finished eating the crab. The 2nd vid is Kobe "dancing" on the glass. Enjoy :smile:.

Kobe continues to do very well. He is out everyday under the lights and continues to be interactive, as well as entertaining to watch. Yesterday I fed him a piece of shrimp with the feeding stick, as I had done several times before, and he decided he wanted to keep the stick while he ate, :smile:. He ate his food while "relaxing" on the stick for about a half-hour before letting me take it back out of the tank. Below is the vid.

Feeding stick thefts are common but never cease to get comments, no matter how many times it happens. I have never come up with a satisfactory "reason" (meaning one that makes sense to a human) why the repeatedly want to own the stick as well as the food. If you feed by hand, they will also tend to try to steal your fingers or at least play with them for awhile before going off to eat. I suppose it could be something simple like the delivery vehicle carries chemical traces of the food but they don't appear to try to bite the object, just hold it (maybe like licking a spoon?).

It would be interesting to collect a list of items octopuses have taken away from humans (not offered as toys). I remember Animal_Mother's briareus capturing a turkey baster (removing and keeping the bulb), LittleBit commandeering my siphon during a water change and Margay snatching a pipette.

Well that is interesting. I think you are on to something regarding the feeding stick. The 3 times I have used it, he has held on to it longer each time. I guess I'll find out if he wants it again the next time I use it. Thanks for the stories of thievery.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back