[Octopus]: Kobe - Abdopus aculeatus

Dools

GPO
Registered
I ordered a new octo from Live Aquaria which I received on Dec 27th, so I have had him for just over 1 week. I am pretty sure it is an Abdopus aculeatus. He has been interactive and diurnal from Day 1. His mantle is about 2 inches long and his longest arms are 4-5 inches long. He has eaten both live crabs (2) and two pieces of frozen shrimp since I have had him. I am pretty sure it is a male based on him keeping his 3rd leg CCW from his mantle curled most of the time.

As yet I have not named him (being superstitious) and want to wait until after he is through the 2nd week. I will say he seems to be acclimating very well so far.

Attachments

• Pic 1.jpeg
    Pic 1.jpeg
    98.9 KB · Views: 340
  • Pic 2.jpeg
    Pic 2.jpeg
    109 KB · Views: 322
Thank you, it is great to be back. As I said this octo is very active. He spends a lot of time "dancing" on the glass on the front of the tank. He also likes to poke his head just above the water as he moves across the front. When I have the lid up he doesn't stick more than his eyes above the surface of the water, but he did shoot a stream of water at a friend last night when she seemed to get to close when the lid was up. :smile:

Hopefully this behavior is normal. Has anyone else observed this behavior with their octo?

He sounds like an extra fun octo! I'd say he sounds normal for an aculeatus, and I'd agree with that ID. Aculeatus is my favorite species to keep- you've already found out why! Hope all goes well with acclimation, but it sounds good so far!

Well those aren't jars, it is a "critter house" I built as something for him to crawl through. I'll take a pic from the front to better show it. This pic is right after our dog startled him.

Attachments

• Pic 3.jpeg
    Pic 3.jpeg
    92.2 KB · Views: 295
The seem to learn to ignore dogs pretty quickly but I have problems with our dogs deciding they have a captive audience when I am photographing the octo tanks or have one hand in the tank. Some how this equates to a good opportunity to demand to be petted. It is hard to ignore a dog that weighs 20 pound less than I do and has a hard, bony head.

I saw the construction but was not quite sure what was inside. Is there a maze or shelves of just a way to go between the two. Is it part Lego?

It is from the pet store intended for hamsters, but I have had it in the tank since I had my last octo. My new guy went into it a few times, but has mostly ignored it. I'll post a better pic that shows the whole thing tonite.

Here is a picture of the whole tank. My octo is at the top of the tank in the back right corner, being camera shy, :smile:.

Attachments

• Pic 4.jpeg
    Pic 4.jpeg
    111.7 KB · Views: 218
I have wondered (but never experimented) what an octopus would do with a waterproof hamster ball affair placed on the floor. I decided it might not be the best idea because of stress but the concept is intriguing. A habitrail maze with a feeding station might be cool.

I may have to look into one of these as the square/rectangular part looks like an excellent acclimation container. At the moment I usually use a critter keeper that has drilled holes. This looks like a better option.

They are expandable and fairly inexpensive. It was cool to watch him explore it with his long arms. I hope he eventually will explore it more often.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back