[Octopus]: Kobe - Abdopus aculeatus

I am glad you are keeping the journal on what you are observing. Octopuses are likely harder than other aquatics to determine life stages because of their patterning ability and unpredictable behavior. The more we write down little observations, the more likely we will have a better chance of separating perceived differences vs actual differences. Photos and videos help a lot since you can go back and observe. Sometimes I am sure something is different but go back and see the animal was showing the same behavior early in its tank life, I just never noticed it.

With other species, I have noted the greying to be slowly noticeable but progressive. Once I see it, I will notice normal coloring again but see a tendency to see the off white more and more frequently. It is almost as if it is a lot of work to show match the environment and not worth the trouble after a while. I often remark that I think this is the beginning of the end with what you are observing (less the surface time but including sleeping in an exposed corner of the tank) and will still have a month or two remaining with a much less interactive animal. Aculeatus tend to live such sort lives in the tank that I have assumed a shorter senescent period but it may be age/stage at capture more than shortened senescence.

Out of curiosity, typically how long do they live in the tank compared to how long they live in the wild?

Excluding predation, estimates suggest lifespan is unaffected if shipping and acclimation are successful (my personal IF is if the animal lives 2 weeks after introduction). There may be a slight advantage to tank life evidenced by the GPOs but we really don't have a lot of data.

It does appear that we can extend lifespan by maintaining low range temperatures, at least for the cold water animals. How this compares to the wild is uncertain. It may be that a bimac in the Baja lives 18 months where in Washington 36 but we really don't know.

Last edited:
Well hopefully he will live longer in the tank, than he would have in the wild. More importantly, at least he's living a life without the threat from predators...not counting the wave makers of course, :smile:. I'll post new vids this weekend.

Kobe is awesome, and he may be getting close to the end but it sounds (to me, anyway) like you still have weeks or even a month. Check Abe's journal, I think I put senescent photos up. I have had more aculeatus than any other octo, and they are actually my favorite all the way through the end.

With all the males I've had, I actually noticed that as senescence progressed, they would be out more often, but less active when they were out. I actually had one that would come out and "sun" itself on the glass every afternoon! I see lots of sleeping on the glass in the "inverted chrysanthemum" position with the old ones. The color change will be slight at first, but you will notice an obvious greying all over the body. As D mentioned, you will see greying, then return to normal colors and patterns, but increased greying over time.

When he starts letting his arms dangle in corkscrews while he's napping on the glass, then you'll know you are getting close to the end. I don't know that more time above the surface of the water has to do with aging, or just that he's been in a tank long enough to want to try to explore. In my experience, if they liked making physical contact before senescence, that will increase as they age. Again, not sure if it's an age thing or just getting used to people thing.

Do you keep hermits in the tank (I'm sorry, I should have been keeping up with your journal!)? I always found a combination of free feeding hermits and stick feeding shrimp was a good way to keep them eating. Also, if you go to the seafood counter, try a blue or soft shell crab- mine always took those. I never tried salmon, but go for it!

You have been doing such a wonderful job with Kobe! Losing him will be hard on you, but hang in there! The hardest part is that these guys can take DAYS to die, and watching the heavy breathing is hard on you. It's even worse when they become autophagic! We have had discussions about euthanizing our octopuses, and I know that at the Toledo Zoo they have done that with a GPO who's mantle had split (also a sign of senescence), but there's no formal decision about what's best. I've always let mine come to a natural end, but it's hard no matter what.

Last edited:
Sorry about mixing up the name of your guy- Kobe is awesome! You will also notice that his skin will appear "thinner" somehow, just like a human or banana. As we age the skin looks thinner and more fragile.

I finally posted those shots of Abe for you to compare to. I also have some video with great footage of his missing arm tips, but I need someone more computer savvy to help me post it. Maybe one of my girls will help out later...

Thanks for the kudos Sedna, it is greatly appreciated and thank you for sharing your knowledge of his species. Typically, how long did your aculeatus live? I agree Kobe is truly a pleasure to watch and I am so lucky to have him. There has been a hermit crab in the tank before he came and he has shown zero interest in eating it. In fact, he has ignored the last two fiddler crabs I offered him over the past few weeks; so his appetite has diminished. I know it will be difficult, but I will let him die a natural death when the time comes. Thus far I have not seen the telltale corkscrewing of his arms, but he definitely enjoys hanging on the glass all curled up. However, my tanks are in the basement; so there is no actual sunlight to enjoy.

Observed Kobe "standing" in the corner. I don't think I have ever seen him in this position before and for him to remain so long enough for me to record it was a bonus. Curious if anyone else has observed this behavior.

My guess? Kobe is being a stationary something or other (seaweed?) and trying not to be seen. He doe not appear to be holding his breath or breathing heavily so I don't think he is frightened.

I don't believe he was frightened either. He even has grown accustomed to our dog occasionally moving in front of the tank. Thought it was worth recording.

Well he has been doing it quite often this weekend. As soon as I put my hands into the tank to do some minor clean-up it is seaweed time. He seems to hold that pose for it seems like over an hour before he begins moving again.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back