[Octopus]: Kobe - Abdopus aculeatus

Discussion in 'Cephalopod Journals' started by Dools, Jan 5, 2014.

1. Dools

Dools GPO Registered

I ordered a new octo from Live Aquaria which I received on Dec 27th, so I have had him for just over 1 week. I am pretty sure it is an Abdopus aculeatus. He has been interactive and diurnal from Day 1. His mantle is about 2 inches long and his longest arms are 4-5 inches long. He has eaten both live crabs (2) and two pieces of frozen shrimp since I have had him. I am pretty sure it is a male based on him keeping his 3rd leg CCW from his mantle curled most of the time.

As yet I have not named him (being superstitious) and want to wait until after he is through the 2nd week. I will say he seems to be acclimating very well so far.

Attached Files:

SueAndHerZoo, DWhatley and tonmo like this.
  2. tonmo

tonmo Titanites Staff Member Webmaster Moderator

Dools! Been a while! :smile: -- welcome back, and beautiful octo and tank! :thumbsup:

3. Dools

Dools GPO Registered

Thank you, it is great to be back. As I said this octo is very active. He spends a lot of time "dancing" on the glass on the front of the tank. He also likes to poke his head just above the water as he moves across the front. When I have the lid up he doesn't stick more than his eyes above the surface of the water, but he did shoot a stream of water at a friend last night when she seemed to get to close when the lid was up. :smile:

Hopefully this behavior is normal. Has anyone else observed this behavior with their octo?

tonmo likes this.
  4. sedna

sedna Larger Pacific Striped Octopus Supporter Registered

He sounds like an extra fun octo! I'd say he sounds normal for an aculeatus, and I'd agree with that ID. Aculeatus is my favorite species to keep- you've already found out why! Hope all goes well with acclimation, but it sounds good so far!

5. Dools

Dools GPO Registered

Here is my first attempt at posting a video.

SueAndHerZoo, DWhatley and Tom Hlavac like this.
  6. Dools

Dools GPO Registered

Well that seemed to work, so here is a 2nd video.

SueAndHerZoo and DWhatley like this.
  7. DWhatley

DWhatley Cthulhu Staff Member Moderator

Is there an octo significance to the "jars" in the tank?

8. Dools

Dools GPO Registered

Well those aren't jars, it is a "critter house" I built as something for him to crawl through. I'll take a pic from the front to better show it. This pic is right after our dog startled him.

Attached Files:

9. Dools

Dools GPO Registered

Actually the 2nd picture I posted shows most of the house.

10. DWhatley

The seem to learn to ignore dogs pretty quickly but I have problems with our dogs deciding they have a captive audience when I am photographing the octo tanks or have one hand in the tank. Some how this equates to a good opportunity to demand to be petted. It is hard to ignore a dog that weighs 20 pound less than I do and has a hard, bony head.

I saw the construction but was not quite sure what was inside. Is there a maze or shelves of just a way to go between the two. Is it part Lego?

SueAndHerZoo likes this.
  11. Dools

Dools GPO Registered

It is from the pet store intended for hamsters, but I have had it in the tank since I had my last octo. My new guy went into it a few times, but has mostly ignored it. I'll post a better pic that shows the whole thing tonite.

DWhatley likes this.
  12. Dools

Dools GPO Registered

Here is the latest video I took this evening.

13. Dools

Dools GPO Registered

Here is a picture of the whole tank. My octo is at the top of the tank in the back right corner, being camera shy, :).

Attached Files:

14. DWhatley

I have wondered (but never experimented) what an octopus would do with a waterproof hamster ball affair placed on the floor. I decided it might not be the best idea because of stress but the concept is intriguing. A habitrail maze with a feeding station might be cool.

I may have to look into one of these as the square/rectangular part looks like an excellent acclimation container. At the moment I usually use a critter keeper that has drilled holes. This looks like a better option.

15. Dools

Dools GPO Registered

They are expandable and fairly inexpensive. It was cool to watch him explore it with his long arms. I hope he eventually will explore it more often.

16. DWhatley

Since he is eating well you might try putting a crab inside and see if he notices.

17. Dools

Dools GPO Registered

The problem is it is open on most of the sides and the crab could crawl out before he has a chance to see it. Here is the last pic of the night when he wasn't camera shy, :).

Attached Files:

18. GKat66

GKat66 Blue Ring Registered

I love all your pics and vids , I wish my guy would tolerate more light so I could get better pictures.

19. Dools

Dools GPO Registered

Thanks. I am lucky I have one that is definitely not too camera shy and loves being out in the light.

20. MissPH

MissPH Cuttlefish Registered

He is beautiful! Lucky indeed that he's loving the light and not camera shy :)

I have read about plastic baby toys are octo safe so is this true also of plastic toys designed for pets?