Klaus - O. Cyanea

My first octopus Julian passed away a few weeks ago, rest his hearts, but good news! He has been succeeded by my latest capture, Klaus the hawaiian day octopus! He is very active and seems to be adjusting well. He has about a three inch mantle length and is roughly 2 ft long from mantle to arm tip. I have been feeding him a diet of live crabs, crawfish, and raw shrimp when I have no live prey to offer. He has been eating very well and has quickly established a lair, which he is sitting outside of, eying me as I write this.

327109bb-1afc-2419.jpg

327109bb-1b4a-21fd.jpg

Klaus is being a real handful today. I had epoxied two protective grates over my overflows when I first got my tank to help octoproof it, and today klaus ripped them both off. He waited for me to get home from work, and started going crazy as soon as I walked in. So I set out a couple pieces of shrimp to thaw. I was watching tv when I heard this loud crack, and looked over to see him tearing the grate clean off! Then he swam to the other side and ripped the other off! After that he just sat outside his lair looking smug.

You may start having problems with keeping Kause contained. The tank appears large enough at this point but often when we see destructive behavior consideration for a larger tank might be in order. You might try putting something in the tank for him to take apart. The legos stuffed with food that we offered Diego entertained him for awhile but LittleBit did not find them interesting. You might need something a bit more difficult.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back