"Killer Squid" on Discovery!!!

You know those New Agey therapy programs where they have people dive with dolphins for their spiritual/homeopathic wellbeing? Wouldn't it be great if they could offer that kind of therapy with dosidicus? Maybe you could even hand-feed them! "Swim with the squid! Let their tender embrace reallign your unbalanced chakras!" Of course, I suppose it would be prudent to demand cash upfront...

Its like "Incredible Suckers" where the researcher was given a warning nip instead of a full-fledged bite. Honestly speaking, I don't think the dosies viewed him as potential prey, but rather an annoyance in their territory. I mean, if they had wanted to frenzy him he'd be dead.

I think its analogous to sharks. Yes, they crave mammal meat, but MARINE mammal flesh with its high fat content. I think that most attacks on humans are probably due to our mammalian electricalchemical signatures and the shark's tendency to "take a taste" to determine if an item is food or not. Quite frankly, when you've been eating the same mammals for a few million years, a new low-fat one is pretty much a novelty... the equivalent of mildly nutritious junk food. But you will need the real thing eventually.

Man, if dosies were that dangerous, then wouldn't they be wreaking havoc on other life forms as well? And wouldn't they pack hunt or frenzy small whales or sharks? Oh well

John

At Last!

They just ran this on Discovery last night and I was finally able to tape it. It was great seeing Dr. Gilly and some other familiar faces, but what was with the Muscle Beach dude in the stormtrooper armor? Is this proof at last of the controversial 'aquatic ape' theory? I mean, that armor had lots of big gaping holes at the joints that a squid should have no problem getting around. Wouldn't that shark-proof mesh armour make a lot more sense? It must be effective - it was custom made by a Hollywoood prop guy who worked on 'Star Wars'!

Beautiful, amazing creatures. I'll probably be watching this many, many times. Really makes me want to dive with them - far away from the fishing boats, of course.

Im sure if the fishermen provoke a feeding frenzy the the docis will be dangerous. But it is not like we are anything other than a prey item of opportunity. if they looked on us as a prey item then they would swarm beaches at sunset.

i can see it now- loads of stoned tourists pulled down to a watery grave to feed the old ones.............

Still big squid that might eat you - way cool.

Wow, bigGdelta - you just described my evil dream come true! I, of course, would be safely on the beach watching the whole squid/bather scenerio while sipping my martini.:glass:

spring break would be a lot more exciting. I can see the research papers now tequila flavor and squid feeding response ( to lime or not to lime, that is the question). Luckily the ocean will pre salt them.

erich orser said:
I, of course, would be safely on the beach watching the whole squid/bather scenerio while sipping my martini.:glass:
Hello Erich,

Because I've just had a boilermaker, "squid/bather" read first as "squid/batter." Now I have an image of tempura-ed tourists being snacked on by Humboldts. Only another boilermaker can banish it.

:beer:

Cheers,
Clem

Clem said:
Hello Erich,

Because I've just had a boilermaker, "squid/bather" read first as "squid/batter." Now I have an image of tempura-ed tourists being snacked on by Humboldts. Only another boilermaker can banish it.

:beer:

Cheers,
Clem
with lime and tequila in the batter no less

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back