"Killer Squid" on Discovery!!!

main_board

Vampyroteuthis
Registered
Reaction score
Hey Everyone!

Talk about your coinsidences! I was just checking discoverychannel.ca today to check what showcase was on tomorrow and guess what....? KILLER SQUID! So excited. The Canadian premier (sp?) no less too.

From Discovery:
Killer Squid
Sun., Sept. 11 at 8 p.m. ET/9 p.m. PT
In Mexico's Sea of Cortez, fishermen talk of a sea monster, an enormous flesh-eating squid. They tell of men pulled from boats and dragged to their deaths by these real-life Krakens, monstrous carnivorous squid they call "los diablos rojos," the "red demons". From the deep waters of the Sea of Cortez, the highly-intelligent two-and-a-half metre long, 180 kilogram killer Humboldt squid makes brief visits to shallower water in search of prey - and this is where intrepid filmmakers and adventurers Mike De Gruy and Jacquie Cozens await them.

Afterwards there's a program about fishing for Alaskan King Crab. Should be a good night! I just thought I'd post to let the Canucks out there know (as I know I'd like to be informed). I imagine it would be the same schedule for our neighbours to the south, though I'm not positive. Anyways, enjoy!

Cheers, Jesse

Fujisawas Sake

Larger Pacific Striped Octopus
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the heads up!

At TONMOCon, Will Gilly spent some time talking about Dosidicus and their fearsome reputation, but didn't seem to have much evidence that they ever dragged men to their deaths. *shrugs* I wonder how 'fearsome' dosies really are, though I wouldn't want to have one brassed off toward me.

Any other killer squid stories out there?

John

Jean

Colossal Squid
Registered
Reaction score
I'm sure DR Gilly is right but...........call me a wimp.........I have no desire to get in the water with a pack of voracious carnivores (& I have seen the stomach contents of squid!) that are bigger than me!!!!

yours wimpishly

J

main_board

Vampyroteuthis
Registered
Reaction score
Really?!?!? I think that it would be really cool to dive with them. There'd be some great risk than a normal dive, granted, but the link talks of wearing armour and the squid only tested it, realized that they couldn't do anything more, and left. I'd try it sometime, though not until and all big and growed up!

Cheers!

Jean

Colossal Squid
Registered
Reaction score
Yes well i know a chappie who was "nipped" by a Southern Arrow Squid (Nototodarus sloanii) much, much , much smaller than the dear old Humboldt and he needed 3 stitches in his leg, doesn't sound like much but the squid (~ 30 cm DML) had to bite through PVC over trousers, gumboots and jeans to inflict the damage!!!!!!!!!!

J

erich orser

TONMO Supporter
Registered
Reaction score
Monterey Aquarium has keeping these alive in captivity on it's agenda.

Imagine having a big, really deep pool with these, or a moat maybe, you know, something with a bridge with a hidden trap door... ah, no solicitors indeed... :madsci:

msamaki

Cuttlefish
Registered
Reaction score
i just came back from watching it. i noticed that they seemed to press the "bloodthirsty killing machine" idea for the first half hour, and the "gentle misunderstood beastie" one for the other half. i thought that was a bit odd, but that was my only issue with it. i now know just how awesome Dosidicus are. i especially like the sucker teeth.

erich orser said:
Imagine having a big, really deep pool with these, or a moat maybe, you know, something with a bridge with a hidden trap door... ah, no solicitors indeed... :madsci:
can we throw the discovery canada people in there? during the ad breaks, there were two commericals for new series airing next month. "canada's worst driver" and "canada's worst handyman". cripes. there goes my last remaining shred of respect for the channel.

erich orser

TONMO Supporter
Registered
Reaction score
Only if the squid like their food enriched with Molsen or Labatts!

A dosidicus would make an amzing goalie, however. Could you picture one with the skates and everything? Lightning-fast reflexes!

:canada:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
camcraig

Monty Awards

TONMOCON IV (2011): Terri
TONMOCON V (2013): Jean
TONMOCON VI (2015): Taollan
TONMOCON VII (2018): ekocak

About the Monty Awards