• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Killer Shrimp!

octomatic

GPO
Registered
sorry guys i didnt know where i should post this, but i need some help. so for funsies i thought i would put a coral banded shrimp in my tank UNTIL i can get an octo. THIS GUY HAS GONE FREAKING SATANIC!!!!! everyone i talked too says they are peacefull and nothing to worry about. WRONG! he has killed my black blenny (i watched him, but it was too late) and 2 of my hermit crabs. the problem is i cant catch him. i tried netting him, placing a diy bottle trap...nothing. i wanna get rid of him or put him in my sump before he kills all my hermits. help!:mad:

They are definitely territorial and aggressive about cleaning parasites but I have never heard of one killing a fish (or hermits for that matter, they are known to kill each other if they don't except being placed together and should be bought in introduced pairs if more than one is put into a tank.). You might try putting a little food in an opaque bottle and checking it in the morning but some critters are a real pain to catch and require live rock removal to get to them.

Did you bait it?
In this video, it shows there is a cube of frozen Brine shrimp. I used this exact same thing and caught a gorrila crab after I couldn't get him with the net.

i baited it like a thawed raw shrimp. i also tried with fish food (he loves it!) i need a super tiny speargun!

Just to note, coral banded shrimp are not 'cleaners' and are well known for being aggressive to fish and inverts. Sorry you had to deal with it!

The one I have have made a place in the tank it's home and will protect it from any intruder, I don't care how big it is he will attack it and run it off never see him kill anything yet but he did attack my emperor angelfish once.

i have since removed it. i took out ALL my rock and then netted it and gave it to a friend. i have heard that they can be in an octo tank and that the octopus will just ignore it, but i have not tested this out or do i ever what this shrimp in my tank again (unless i have fireworms)

I can vouch for them eating parasites. The trigger we had developed parasites around the eyes a week or two after we got him. He hated the bandid but it removed the parasites (whether or not the fish wanted him to or not) until after about a year, we never saw any signs of the nasties. However, about that time Harvey lost and arm and then disappeared.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back