• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

kH in my octopus tank

Steve1853

Hatchling
Registered
I was told by my LFS that the carbonate hardness in my octopus tank does not effect an octopus. Any thoughts?

I've been having problems controlling it and it is slighty high around 18 using the API test kit.

Thank you.

Hi Steve and welcome to the site!

Carbonate hardness is not one of our main concerns in keeping an octopus.
You need to be concerned about water temperature (depends on the species) and monitor the following water parameters.

ideal water parameters for octopuses are;
Salinity 1.024 to 1.026
pH: 8.2 to 8.4
Ammonia 0
Nitrite. 0
Nitrate. <25 ppm

You should be testing for these water parameters, and doing regular water changes. The most worrisome substance is ammonia, because it is the most toxic.

Nancy

Nancy,

Thank you!

All of those parameters are ideal in my tank the only issue I'm running into is the KH. It seems the only way to keep my PH up to that value is to add supplements that maintains the PH. When doing so my KH rises. I know that the PH is of more important so I just wanted to clarify that the KH really only effects corals and such.

I do water changes regularly and test on a regular basis and everything from nitrates to ammonia are 0.

Thank you very much for the reply

-Steve

You sound like you're experienced with salt water tanks, which is an advantage.

Using aragonite sand (or adding some) will help keep the pH steady in the aquarium. You can use a buffer, as you're already doing. Some salt mixes aim for a slightly lower pH than others, because some tank owners think it will help the fish.

Nancy

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back