Kenny's Journal

He came out in the night and created a small "nest" as best I can describe it in the corner on the sand!! I will see if I can get a photo but I might wait a few days as to not desturb him-- Basically its like a 2 inch wide concave depression in the sand that he has nestled down into. Then he blends his skin color to match! Really neat!

update- here is a photo of when I came home frrom work and he had left the nest to go back to the rocks. Kind of hard to show the depression but here it is.

Attachments

• conv_291958.jpg
    conv_291958.jpg
    530.7 KB · Views: 86
He's out!! I doubled up the red paper and put the light on a timer to go off at 7pm. At about 8pm he came out to the left side of the tank again. This time he bounced up n down from the back of the tank to the front. Each time going a bit up as well. The only time stopping was when he would notice me. I dont dare pop the top to offer food though. I will wait till some more comfortableness. LOL, right now I can see that he just reached an arm up out of the water on the glass-- man I just want to interact...oh well the time will come, I just hope he will come out in the day too once he is more comfortable.

Wow im very glad your's is interacting, hopefully it means it wont be long till mine does..I didnt see her at all today though. Can you please tell me what goes on around her tank during the day, because i try to make it as comfortable as possible by moving slowly, having her tank lights off all day, only with the red lights on, and i also try not to do much in there besides sleep and go on my laptop, but still nothing..please any help would be greatly appreciated.

To be honest, no set structure yet, His tank is in my living room so anytime you walk in here it is near the tank. I think they are just a nervous breed at first--I guess as I would be too in the same senerio. I did the flashlight thing like you did too, lol I still do a bit to see if there are random fiddlers in there too. I did raise the temp to about 82 during the last 24 hrs so that might also be helping with the activity level. Dont get me wrong--this is the first time I have seen him since yesterday morning so its not like I have seen much difference yet--lol thats y I am too nervous to reach in and try to feed him myself.

Dam, while I was typing that last post I noticed kenny shoot from the bottom to the top and back again. I looked away to finish typing and he is gone into hiding again.. grrrr oh well I will be up awhile..

ok, do you think it matters that i have a 12 gallon nano reef in the same room as her? I mean its the only light in my room thats on right now and it has 65 watt lights but it really doesn't brighten up the octo tank much, and i dont have any lights on in the octo tank anyways..

I have a 20 gal ecllips set right next to it with my fiddlers, just lower so not much of the "white" light shows through the side of the octo tank. But, I also have both set on the same timer so they are on and off at the same time.

Did you figure out what kind? Best way to interact with a new octopus is to let him discover you mean him no harm. He's obviously very happy in his surroundings, but the trust issue takes time. Biddle was very skittish, I'd say for almost 2 months. I left him alone until curiosity got the best of him. Now he observes us and if we ignore him he finds a way to get our attention! Where in Jersey are you?

I live in Blackwood SJ, it is near Glassboro. As far as the kind-we are assuming these from Aquaculture.com are Abdopus Aculeatus

Ok, another night and another sighting. Tonight I pushed it a bit farther. I offered some thawed frozen shrimp on a feeding stick. After a few moments he took it and the stick. I held the stick for about 2 min until it seemed like he let go. After about another 30 seconds he dropped the shrimp :frown: Anyway, It is about an hr and a half and he is still out. Actually he seems to have become quite fond of the out sponge from the skimmer. Giving it a bear hug exploring it I guess. ahh baby steps

So far though, only red lights in the day and none at night(the only time he comes out) I hope I can help him work out of that cycle too.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back