Kenny's Journal

mosthated;104425 said:
also my octo has rejected any offerings of shrimp since i added the fiddler crabs to the tank, i have found the remains of one eaten crab.. so i guess they like them.. he might be out hunting, if you dont have any in the tank i would add one or two.

I typically keep 2 in there until I get to the point of hand feeding

yea, i ordered some fiddlers that should be here wednesday, since i dont think the shrimp are working. I tried to take a shortcut by buying bait shrimp, but i will follow you guys now, since both of you seem to be having better success than me. Please keep us updated on Kenny's new outgoing personality. Have you tried feeding again now that hes out?

I think the armspan on A. Aculeatus is larger than 12" full grown. I was thinking more toward 18", but after searching google can't find information on it. The ambient light in your living room should suffice as a good amount of daylight.

Rob,
I would not let the tank go above 80. The tank temp and oxygen levels really worry me. In the wild, the heat does not deterioriate the water and the current keeps refreshing the oxygen. In the tank, the higher temperatures the more chance of oxygen depletion and water quality issues from fecal mater and remains. Roy Caldwell (among others) has mentioned the oxygen problem during acclimation and that keeping the lower end of the temperature spectrum seems to aid in life extension (or keeping the high end speeds up the life cycle). Kenny may be staying closest to where the CO2 leaves the water (allowing for more oxygen). If you have a sump (I have forgotten), you might consider an air pump and air stone even at 80 degrees. Tonmo members have mentioned potential problems with putting too many bubbles in the tank but you can't have too much oxygen from aerating the sump and Roy found that adding aeration to the small chambers for new hatch increased their survival.

dwhatley;104433 said:
Rob,
I would not let the tank go above 80. The tank temp and oxygen levels really worry me. In the wild, the heat does not deterioriate the water and the current keeps refreshing the oxygen. In the tank, the higher temperatures the more chance of oxygen depletion and water quality issues from fecal mater and remains. Roy Caldwell (among others) has mentioned the oxygen problem during acclimation and that keeping the lower end of the temperature spectrum seems to aid in life extension (or keeping the high end speeds up the life cycle). Kenny may be staying closest to where the CO2 leaves the water (allowing for more oxygen). If you have a sump (I have forgotten), you might consider an air pump and air stone even at 80 degrees. Tonmo members have mentioned potential problems with putting too many bubbles in the tank but you can't have too much oxygen from aerating the sump and Roy found that adding aeration to the small chambers for new hatch increased their survival.

Question? What problems with the bubbles? Because I was also concerned about the oxygen level so my one small intank powerhead I turned on the air intake so it would produce some as it pushes the water. I have already turned off the heater as well and started lowering the temp too. Still, I had not read anything bout the bubbles before.

Rob,
I think the jury is mixed on bubbles. Several people have noted that their octos will play in them but others have mentioned problems with bubbles getting into the mantle and not being expelled. I will look for a couple of the posts with pros and cons and get back to you in a short.

This is one by Roy Caldwell (Berkeley Prof, Christy's mentor and fantastic photographer):
Bimac culture

Roy and Jean discussing micro bubbles
>.< Microbubbles!

A discussion on bubbles:
Bubbles or no bubbles

:angel: At 1145pm tonight Kenny Died. Those of you who have helped me know this is just frustraiting. He was my 4th in a month to attempt to try the octopus interaction--and my 4th failure. I have had my water professionaly tested, made any adjustments to different breeds of octo, tried both newborn and young, 3 different breeds--all to no success. :banghead: Many of you have been very positive for me to continue--I appreciate this soo much. This time hurt even more because the others only lasted a couple days.. Kenny was exactly a week, I figured I was over the "hump"--heck, I even told other people today that I had tried again(yeah I waited till today cause of my recent luck) As of tomorrow the tank becomes our new "fish" tank because I know when I should and shouldnt do something and I reached that point. As a result I prob wont be on here to much now-well for obvious reasons. Simple--good luck with yours and dont get discouraged, I am sure you will have great fun with yours. Anywho, It was by all means my pleasure interacting with all of you and wish you the best of luck with all your lil friends!!

:goodbye:

My fluval still shoots out microbubbles periodically, though my skimmer no longer produces them thanks to a series of prefilter sponge. It's better to be safe then sorry with bubbles.

Sorry to hear about your octo! This death seems extremely sudden. Were there no signs? Has your tank been test for copper or other heavy metals? Did you watch him go, or you found him dead?

Sorry to hear about it again, I hope to see you back someday.

RIP Kenny :angelpus:
I'm so sorry for you - I know you really liked them all.
It's tough that you could never find any reason for losing the little guys.

Nancy

shipposhack;104451 said:
My fluval still shoots out microbubbles periodically, though my skimmer no longer produces them thanks to a series of prefilter sponge. It's better to be safe then sorry with bubbles.

Sorry to hear about your octo! This death seems extremely sudden. Were there no signs? Has your tank been test for copper or other heavy metals? Did you watch him go, or you found him dead?

Sorry to hear about it again, I hope to see you back someday.

Yeah, the tank and water has been tested for everything and came out with flying colors. I saw him on the side of the glass then he just dropped--I went over to look and he wasnt moving. You can see some of the pics I took just a couple hours ago.. I hope to be back someday too..

RIP Kenny :angelpus: that's really rough. I can understand how you're feeling frustrated, but I've gotta say that I'll miss you if you're not around, although I don't want to push you to be here if it'll stress you out, either. It's really stressful when you lose pets even though you've made every effort to do everything right for them. Sorry. :sad:

:angelpus:RIP Kenny....Sometimes there are no answers. Question....were all from the same supplier? I'm thinking not. And was your tank ever coppered? Seems to be a possible answer. Any pieces of metal in the tank that you may be unaware of? When I began, I too had many deaths but years ago info on their care was not available, so I know it was my own error from lack of knowledge. I hope someday you will try again as they are worth the effort.

so sorry for you loss!
i wouldnt think oxygen levels would be a problem for anyone running a decent skimmer, or a skimmer at all..

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back