• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Keeping Octopus in Captivity.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would argue that mediocre things play a critical part in all happenings. While bad things should undoubtedbly cease, and good things should continue (or indeed increase, but subject to conflicting findings in future study), the mediocre things should maintain their current course. This, because without mediocre things, all things would be good, thereby diluting the effectiveness of good things, and rendering them mediocre. Some may argue that mediocre things will become bad, which may in fact be the case, but at that time the process should be reapplied, ensuring a very bright future indeed. Unless that future study shows otherwise. Meanwhile, optimism and pessimism should be calibrated according to the beliefs of the individual... and pessimism will really be the portender of mediocre things, as bad things will have gone away. I suppose I should do my part in helping end all bad things, by ending this post abruptly, if awkwardly.

I don't know how to answer that. Yikes. I haven't run across such verbage since I was at my last gallery opening!!!

I've said it before, and I'll say it again...and again...and again.

You are the strangest people I have ever known.

I'm so proud to be a member of this community...sniff... :notworth:

8)

rusty

Don't be ashamed of us! Anyone who dedicates this much time to a shell-less snail with 8-10 arms has to be a little bit odd...ok, so maybe we push the envelope a little on that one. But hey! It is fun! Someday we will have to have a TONMO meeting someplace (warm and with the ocean would be nice) so we can glue comments to people!
Greg

Yes, the first official TONMOCON plans are bubbling in my brain... have to sort out a thing or two first, but watch this space... :wink:

Tonmocon...gosh, it just rolls off the tongue, does it not? I like it! We could meet in the keys or the v islands...do some snorkeling...hmmm. Or perhaps in the gulf???

Sure, any of those sounds good
[newzealandnewzealandnewzealand]
Or maybe in Hawaii
[newzealandnewzealand]
Or Australia?
[NEWZEALAND]

Or does someone [new] have [zealand] a different suggestion?

:wink:

I confess TONMOCON brings images to mind of 8-legged scam artists... or maybe a little yellow Tony icon. :smile:

Must...go...to...bed...can't...stop...laughing...

Cool idea for a trip to Kiwiland. I'd trouble myself pretty far to make it...can't necessarily AFFORD it, but...a chance to meet up with you jokers would be quite irresistible. Wonder what sort of trouble we could get into... :twisted:

Sorry, Pakoc. We're a rather...distractable...bunch. :oops: :heee:

rusty

Perhaps pacoc could deliver a sermon, er, I mean a lecture! If I show my wife this thread she will insist on going to the "down under" area...she talks about it all the time. I think I can hear Tony's wheels spinning inside his cranium all the way down here!
It would be a blast...are you sure you want it in your home country though, T ? They might ask you to leave! :bugout:
Greg

Unless someone would like to pay for tickets / lodging for my family and can arrange babysitting for my kids, I would be thinking more like... Northeast USA. :smile: Perhaps the NZ trip will be for TONMOCON II, sometime after the TONMO.com IPO. :wink:

Still, I can't even arrange for the Northeast one until I straighten out a few things first...

(Think... Philadelphia... or Baltimore Aquarium)

Baltimore would be cool also...nice town! We would be able to get a behind the scenes tour at the aquarium and the zoo, and could set up at a Holiday Inn or something???? It would be great!
I am a little scared of the jokes that are going to fly on the first night! :smile:
Greg

Told you so.

I was stimulated by the first few replies and even encouraged by some of the thinking I saw.
But then the idiots waded in, even the guy who runs the site for goodness sake.
I thought, when I joined, that there were separate boards for humour and anecdotes. That the moderators of this board would keep the topic tight. But the moderators of this board are encouraging non relevant arbitrary rubbish in response to my arguments.
I thought that when I was at the stage of replying to the initial points raised I would be deepening the argument and entering into a 'string' that would lead to mutual debate and further interaction.
Respect, and the associated intellectual assets I am used to encountering, seem to be missing from this site.
I suggest either that I become a moderator of this board so I can kick out any rubbish that belongs on another message board or that the serious arguments that I thought were to be had here are banned and rerouted to a credible location that will attract those of us with something more interesting than "we are dead and dreaming" (a gem from some nutter called 'Greg') or 'and pessimism will really be the portender of mediocre things, as bad things will have gone away' a lasting crumb of scantly flickering psuedo intelligence from our (and I say 'our' because I find myself a member of this site) main person.
I can be funny.
I can crack jokes.
In fact I think I will at the appropriate place. The Cephalofun board. Read the description.
Anyway thanks for those who make some attempt except 'scarmig' who thinks that octopus live in a jungle.

Re: Told you so.

pakoc said:
But then the idiots waded in, even the guy who runs the site for goodness sake. I thought, when I joined, that there were separate boards for humour and anecdotes. That the moderators of this board would keep the topic tight. But the moderators of this board are encouraging non relevant arbitrary rubbish in response to my arguments..
Welcome to TONMO.com! :smile: This is what we do here. You are not obligated to read every post... I'm not overly concerned that every post does not stimulate you (you can imagine how such an approach cannot be managed).

This is the way the site is run, no exceptions. All are welcome, including yourself. Disruptive activity will be removed. Off-topic posts are sometimes split off into a separate discussion thread, but only rarely. This is an online community, and like a cocktail party, sometimes discussions evolve and change course. You're welcome to use your people-skills to try to get it back on track, or join in the new discussion, or walk away. Feel free to respond to those posts in this thread that DO stimulate you, and ignore the rest. If your people-skills include calling people idiots, I doubt you're going to get far impressing the community, let alone approaching the kind of person capable of monitoring a TONMO.com forum.

You should also know that "We are all dead and dreaming" is a sig file, which is a salutation that appears at the bottom of every post. You might want to do some more research about online communication before hurling insults unnecessarily. No one is mocking you (as you clearly seem to believe), we're just having a parallel discussion. Rise above it if you feel the need.

That said, I'm all for staying on topic. What is your response to some of the early responses?
:glass:

(Note to other TONMO.com community members who have just been insulted: hold your tomatoes, this will pass. :wink: )

Re: Told you so.

pakoc said:
Anyway thanks for those who make some attempt except 'scarmig' who thinks that octopus live in a jungle.

Ouch. Sounds like someone's Metaphor Identification and Cognition System is on the fritz! :cyclops:

Oh please! Pakoc, lighten up. I disagree with you completely, and I think that your ludicrous argument was cast into the correct light...a sophomoric attempt to act intellectually in a forum that you really have no experience in. If you tilt at dragons, expect some fire, my friend.
Perhaps I am just a "nutter", but if you ever read HP Lovecraft you would understand...you can read can't you???
There now...don't get your cockney all a -flutter!
The reason the discussion went the way it did is because yours was boring, a rehash of ridiculous sentiment that is so silly we don't have time to comment on it. Oops, I just did...but what do you expect from a "nutter"? LOL.
Greg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back