• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Keeping FW Ghost shrimp in tap water

Kerrick

GPO
Registered
I am recieving a shipment of 500 ghost shrimp for the cuttles and was wondering your opinions on keeping them in Tap water were? I'm going to split them into two 5 gallon bucks and run airstones in the buckets.

My water is relatively clean and has pretty low chlorine from what I can tell.

Thanks for any input you can give.

I unfortunately do not have a ro/di... I have recently found out that my LFS has only DI and never changes their resin so I am having difficulty getting RO/DI(i drive 45 minutes to work 3 days a week and there is a LFS not far out of the way that has good water)...
Obviously I am saving for an RO/DI... but for right now I'm buying it by the 5 gallon bucket and driving across the state... lol :smile:

thanks for the input guys I think I will condition the tap water.

corpusse;179686 said:
You should have got the RO/DI BEFORE the cuttlefish.

Why? His cuttlefish seem to be doing just fine.

You only need RODI if you need it. I run on DI (with sediment and carbon filters) and that is more on superstition (though it is possible that copper could be an issue without the DI. The TDS of my tap water is 40 or less, so IMO there really is no need for RODI and the waste water it produces. In fact, may reefkeepers in my area get on fine with tap water and either prime or amquel or sediment filters and carbon.

I would contact thefilterguys.biz with any questions. They seem more interested in sharing info than making a sale.

I think it is highly dependent upon the water source. My tap is very muddy and I filter particulates before it gets to the faucets but still see red mud in my RO particulate filter. Because the mud suggest ground water and with it bacteria, I have also started running the water through a UV before I mix it or use it for top off (I don't run a UV on the tanks). Initially (pre-octopuses), I was filtering through a small sand filter (probably DI resin and carbon looking back on it) and using a dechlorinating addititive. All of my tanks started doing noticably better when I got an RO/DI unit.

We live on a lake and are at the very end of the water line so our water is worse than most. They redid the lines a few years ago but it did not help with the mud. Before they redid the lines, the water company ran water off into our yard. It was supposed to be an on off thing but they left it running all the time so we piped it to a small pond and then down to the lake. I could not keep anything alive in the pond though and when they put the new piping it, they either turned off or reran the overflow.

Well... I setup a filter on a five gallon bucket. Bit the bullet and used only DI/RO. But ammonia was getting to be a real problem so I added a little ammonia remover that is supposed to be safe for inverts and even raising fish for human consumption. Even then I'm doing 2.5 gallon water changes every day... Damn shrimp! LOL...

Anyways... 500 shrimp is just unmanageable. Who cares if I can get them for 8 cents a shrimp if 1/3 die before everything is said and done.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back