Katy's first octopus! Species?

Well I'm still blaming my eyes regarding reading the colour charts, at the end of the day there hasn't been a problem with anything that's been in there and it was reading way worse than that some months back.

I screwed myself over re: the SG, ran out of salt 2 days ago :/ Will get some more and make a stronger batch next week, so noted.

Nevermind to my previous post, I just got view #1. Your tank looks wonderful and so does the octopus. Is he still having a hard time breathing now that he is in the tank?

Morning all, I was absolutely shattered last night and went to bed not long after I put him in the tank. I've had a look for him a couple of times and just now but he has sneaked away in a rock somewhere so I won't pester him for now.

Here he is being released into the tank. I had the worst luck filming ever. Just as I was dipping the tub into the tank on my first attempt the aquarium lights went off because of the timer lol.. then my phone said the memory card was full. So this was take 2:

Almost certainly Abdopus aculeatus.

One thing that I would like to caution people about - the use of air stones with octopus and cuttles. Bubbles can become trapped in the mantle cavity and cause problems.

Roy

Neogonodactylus;170879 said:
Almost certainly Abdopus aculeatus.

One thing that I would like to caution people about - the use of air stones with octopus and cuttles. Bubbles can become trapped in the mantle cavity and cause problems.

Roy

I am so glad you brought this up...I haven a concern reguarding their use.

Power outages...I have a battery back-up air pump w/2 airstones that will come on when power goes out. What is the best way to use these? I do not want my octopus to suffocate nor do I want to put it in danger of have bubbles trapped in the mantle. Right now I have the airstones in the main display at the surface. What is the best way (placement) to oxygenate the tank when power fails using airstones? Is there a safe way to should they just never be used? :-/

Katy~
:smile: I am relieved.
Once we make it through acclimation the next big milestone is getting it to eat. This can be tedious My current Poe is the first one that will not accept frozen thawed shrimp but loves scallops and mussels. Live food is irresistible if you have it avaliable.
BTW, is that anemone still hanging in there for you?

Hi all,

There was not much to report the last days. The octopus stayed hidden, I scanned the tank extremely thoroughly at night with a flashlight and couldn't see anything, but was also quite satisfied he hadn't escaped.

Yesterday I offered food for the first time - shredded up pieces of thawed shrimp. As I didn't know where he was I just popped it down on a rock near to where he originally hid, hoping he was still in the vicinity. The crabs tried to eat the shrimp and I batted them out of the way with the feeding stick. When I went to bed, the 8-armed friend hadn't been tempted so I just left it assuming the crabs would eat it.

I got up about an hour ago and lo and behold, on the rock there is now a piece of 'seaweed' where the shrimp used to be!

My eyes aren't good and although I was fairly sure it was the octopus because I recognised the bulging pattern of the eyes on top of the head, I wasn't 100% confident. I put another piece of shrimp on a stick, slid open the lid and lowered it down near the 'seaweed', who promptly shot down out of site into the rock! I placed the shrimp down and went to get a coffee. When I returned less than 60 seconds later, the seaweed was back and the entire piece of shrimp had vanished :smile:

168741_498038664476_816199476_5884565_8249634_n.jpg

167041_498038839476_816199476_5884566_1492545_n.jpg

180299_498038949476_816199476_5884567_3426568_n.jpg

Can someone confirm that is indeed the octopus? :smile:

So happy to see your little guy is out and may be eating. Looking good :biggrin2: I would try to stay there and wait to see if the octopus is actually eating. Hold the feeding stick near and if possible touch an arm with the shrimp, that almost always works for me.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back