Kalypso (O.briareus)

The past 2 nights I've found Kalypso hanging out on the glass pretty much immediately after lights out. That's around 7:30pm. As soon as she sees me she hurries her way to the front of the tank and waits half-hidden behind rocks for me to put some food in. If I tease her with the food outside the tank she reaches out and dashes at it and once she realizes she can't grab it, she dashes back behind a rock again and tries to figure out another way to get the food. She has become very personable. She doesn't mind the light on in the room at all, and she seems to be getting comfortable with the 10,000k lighting on the fixture but so far she goes and hides after a couple of minutes after I turn it on. If she doesn't like it after a few more tries I'll just leave it at ambient light. Trying to make a lighting compromise but get really good pictures too. I haven't tried my 20 watt fluorescents yet but I think I'll do that this week.

I usually make her work for her food because I know once she gets it she retreats off into the rocks to her favorite spot. Her arms are about 8 inches now, and about as big around as a #2 pencil, and I see her webbing more and more every night. She will "stand" on 6 of them and reach out into the water column trying to grab the stick or the food with the other 2. By "stand" I mean her arms make like one big foot and about halfway up bend so that the rest of her body is vertical, with no support other than her own strength. Nothin' but muscle!

AM,
It seems I am, unintentionally, following in your footsteps :razz: with octo residence. Kalypso has me very anxious to be successful with one of JoeFish's brood.

:smile:

Here's some pictures from last nights feeding escapade. She is definitely interested in toys. Time to find her some. She really likes the feeding stick.

Moving in for the "kill"...
IMG_0643.jpg

She pounces!
IMG_0645.jpg

MINE!
IMG_0646.jpg

Hmm... krill or stick? I can't decide.
IMG_0647.jpg

Okay you can go away now, I got what I wanted. Bye!
IMG_0649.jpg

She took the stick back to her den and I reached in about 10 minutes later. It's like trying to uproot a tree.

Got some great video and pictures of her tonight. I got home late and she was on the front glass, just waiting for me. Or maybe she sees the fish in the tank across the room? She roamed around the front of the tank watching me. I turned on the dining room light and we hung out for an hour and a half. I gave her a piece of krill with my finger, and she held on for quite a bit. Then she roamed around the top of the tank, feeling around the top under the screen so I added more and more duct tape. Very mischievous. She LOVES the camera too. Got some good pics of her wrapping her web around some rocks.

Pics in the morning!

IMG_0678.jpg

IMG_0679.jpg

IMG_0685.jpg

IMG_0687.jpg

IMG_0688.jpg

IMG_0667.jpg

I accidentally deleted some of the best videos trying to make room for more. Most of the others are too dark to enjoy. Gotta convince her that light isn't bad. Seems like every time I turned the camera off she would go to the bottom and wrap her webbing around rocks. Tried to capture the moment but the video just isn't bright enough.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back