Kalypso (O.briareus)

Discussion in 'Cephalopod Journals' started by Animal Mother, Jan 18, 2008.

1. Animal Mother

Animal Mother Architeuthis Supporter

Okay, well I just got this little guy from Tom's Carribean (thanks again for the tip Joe!)..

[​IMG]

He's in an 8oz plastic Dixie cup... you can see the dwarf blue-leg hermits next to him to compare size.

WOW he/she is TINY!

Video coming soon.

[​IMG]

2. Animal Mother

This will be my 8-armed buddy at home. Going to keep him/her in the critter keeper I kept Einy in until he/she is larger.

3. simple

simple Vampyroteuthis Registered

awesome, i get mine on monday.

4. monty

monty Colossal Squid Staff Member Supporter

:welcome: Kalypso!

5. Nancy

Nancy Titanites Staff Member Moderator

Welcome to Kalypso!

O. briareus is one of my favorites and a very beautiful species of octopus.

Nancy

6. SandV

SandV Wonderpus Registered

I am glad you got a nice and tiny one...

did tom ship him with the crabs...

7. Animal Mother

Yeah, there's about a dozen hermit crabs and tiny snails too. I saw the bag and thought, "oh cool, he sent hermits and snails too"... and then I saw a tiny pink wad of goo... hah! He said the "head" was dime-sized, but it's closer to a peanut. About the same size as Einy was when I got him.

8. shipposhack

shipposhack Haliphron Atlanticus Registered

Wow, he really is small! Good luck with him.

9. Animal Mother

Thanks! I don't know if I can handle another "here today, gone tomorrow" animal.

I came home with the package and found my tank was full of green caulerpa soup. Perfect timing, huh? Soooo I filled the critter keeper with new saltwater and a tiny bit of tank water and about 10lbs of live rock and a bubbler for circulation, floating it in my tank until I can do a massive water change, tonight or tomorrow. The skimmer is running overtime. About 6 hours later now and the baby seems fine. Has itself squished between a rock and the plastic wall. Glad it chose a hiding place where I can still see it. Seriously, it looks like a wad of chewing gum! I still can't believe how small it is!

Damn the caulerpa! I just pruned a bunch out of it so this wouldn't happen! Prime example of why caulerpa should be boycotted.

10. joefish84

joefish84 Sepia elegans Registered

wow so much smaller than mine... oh well mines do great so im not worried. mines also already eating frozen fiddlers

11. Animal Mother

He said he had another one with a "2-inch head" but he would have to use another box, more shipping cost, etc (we ordered a bunch of gorgonias too). So I went with the smallest one he had... that's what I got! I'm kinda scared! I had to go back to work after I was done acclimating it so I've been very anxious to get back home.

12. simple

simple Vampyroteuthis Registered

yea the other one is probably the one im getting..he said it has a 1.5 inch mantle

13. dreadhead

dreadhead Haliphron Atlanticus Supporter

very cool!:welcome:to your:octorun:

14. SandV

but was the octo in the same bag as the hermits...

15. Animal Mother

Yes.

16. SandV

i would be worried about water quality if he ate one...

17. Animal Mother

Well, it was in the bag for less than 24 hours, about 15 hours total. And considering the ratio of his size to the amount of water in the bag I don't think it was an issue.

Well, she had been resting on the bottom of the critter keeper under a rock last night when I went to bed but no sign of Kalypso this morning. I'm sure she's hiding in the rocks somewhere... unless she managed to climb out of the critter keeper into the tank! In which case it will probably be a while before I find her again but there is a ton of snails, pods, and hermits.

18. Animal Mother

Nothing too phenomenal to report so far for Kalypso. Before I went to bed last night she was munching down on a hermit, and still sitting in the same spot when I got up. I laid back down for a little while (gotta take advantage of my days off when I can!) and when I got up she had disappeared. I turned the lights out at 6 this evening, and by 6:30 she was hanging out under a rock, feeling around in holes so I dropped another hermit in close to her and she grabbed it and held on to it for a while. A little later she had let go of it and it was crawling away so to my surprise she didn't eat it. I thawed out a piece of sand eel, stuck it on a skewer, and offered it. She gladly accepted it but apparently she doesn't think they taste very good. I'm going to try and remember to bring my krill home from work and offer a piece of that tomorrow night. Otherwise she still has plenty of hermits and snails, and an emerald crab I can throw in if she gets too picky.

I'll try to get something on video but right now I'm viewing with red light only. She doesn't seem to react when we turn on the light in the room so I'm happy about that.

As of right now she's in another spot under the rock, and all I can see is her tiny eyeballs poking out around an edge.

19. Animal Mother

Another video shot during acclimation.
    [​IMG]

I have successfully gotten Kalypso to accept pieces of frozen shrimp from the end of a stick. I have been adding larger hermit crabs every couple of days and the larger ones seem to be preferred as there are still many of the tiny hermits that were sent along with Kalypso. Last night was my best view of her in several days, but she stays at the bottom of the keeper, in between the rocks where it's hard to see her.

20. dreadhead

dreadhead Haliphron Atlanticus Supporter

wow she is real tiny,thats awesome.