Juvenile Briearus

Tomh

GPO
Registered
Reaction score
Hi I got a baby Briearus a couple of months so small that I had to put him in a large critter container. Anyway his mantle is now about 2 inches so I tried leaving the top off overnight but he stayed in pvc tee in container that he uses as den. Should I leave top off or gently remove tee and put it in tank. I would like to let him keep that as his home so I know where he is. Lol because he is still small plus he is comfortable. Thanks for your help. Tom

Nancy

Titanites
Staff member
Reaction score
I would prop open the critter container, if possible, and just let him wander out on his own and then return. Then move the pvc tee. He will move from that when he outgrows it.

Nancy

DWhatley

Kraken
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi Nancy should I open access the access panel or remove the top?
Which ever is easiest, it will find its way out. I am actually surprised he/she has not already exited the critter keeper. Yours will be the first I know of that was content to remain, must be the PVC den.

Tomh

GPO
Registered
Reaction score
He wound up exiting the container and put the pvc in tank. I think everything is ok? Food keeps disappearing when i put it by the rocks. He is still very small his mantle is only 1 1/2 -2 inches. Are they normally still shy at this size? Thanks

KD5054

Wonderpus
Registered
Reaction score
He wound up exiting the container and put the pvc in tank. I think everything is ok? Food keeps disappearing when i put it by the rocks. He is still very small his mantle is only 1 1/2 -2 inches. Are they normally still shy at this size? Thanks
Each octopus has a different personality. he might just really feel comfortable close to his pvc. or his 'home'. Its a safety net that he knows a predator wont get him. It is also possible in time that he might, as he grows, start to get more comfortable to come out as he realizes and becomes familiar with his tank set up.