• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Just venting!!

Ok so I ordered an octo from live aquaria and I checked the tracking... its been in a box since at least 1030 am this morning and it isnt even in transit yet! Thank GOD!!! I went with priority shipping so the octo will be here by 1030. But if I hadnt??!!? It could have been stuck in a box for more than 36 hours. I just think this sort of thing is wrong. They know its a sensitive animal, so why? GRRR

It is not alway for sure when the animal is in the box. The shippers print up intended labels for the day so that they can be placed on the boxes as they pack. If my guess is right, the first notice was just that FED EX was notified of the intent to ship which would have meant the information was entered into the computer for the day's shipping and labels readied. I think your new guy will be just fine.

I hope so. It was pick up at 1130 so I know its been in the box at least that long. I have ordered from LA before, and its always been great, no problems at all. Normally I just didnt see them getting picked up so early. Freaked me out a bit cause they are so good about it normally.

It is not always a good thing to vent and it doesn't always have the desired effect. We all know that cephalopods are delicate and do not ship well. Believe me, the sellers know this as well - particularly every time they have to refund the cost of a dead animal. More than one has given up offering a "live" guarantee and several have stopped shipping cephalopods at all. I suspect dwhatley is correct. The tracking number is issued when the carrier is electronically notified that there is a package to be entered into the system.

And as far as timing goes, it really doesn't matter if the octopus was boxed at 11 am or 4 pm. As long as the animal is in good shape, has oxygen and enough water, is held at a reasonable temperature and isn't being bounced around, it should be fine. It has already made one trip from Indonesia to LAX and believe me, that took longer than 24 hours bagged.

If a seller is doing something wrong, by all means, they should hear about it. However, if their name is being trashed for little reason, all of us who rely on retailers to acquire animals may find them more difficult to purchase.

Roy

Roy

Liveaquaria.com is a wonderful company to deal with. My brother and I have ordered from them many times and when problems do occur, they are terrific. My brother just ordered corals from them. There was a problem, his box sat at the FedEx facility over the weekend. He finally got it Monday, he lost quite a bit but they gave him full credit plus an extra $50 for the trouble. This is not ment to add to your anxiety, just to give you reassurance about the company. They have fantastic customer service. I am patiently awaiting for you to start your new journal and keeping my fingers crossed.

In the future if you feel anxious or the need to vent, send me a PM. I will listen and support you. Just ask D, she has been my "ventee" on one particular occasion. : )

:gigas:

I am with Roy 100% on not posting open vents about initial situations/frustrations. Not to preach, and your specific post is not the issue so much as we all need to keep in mind that open posts can be scanned (with the search engines) and then misused by others to misrepresent the intent of the vent. Good suppliers are very hard to come by and finding them is even more difficult because of some of the misuse of open posts (CaptFish debunked something similar earlier this year about an alternate supplier). Unfortunately people trying to force their opinion on others will misquote and reference posts without the full story (or expect the reader to take the word of the message without looking up the references).

In addition to private messages for fear/hand wringing release, using the supporter's forum keeps the venting semi-private where the full story is more likely to be read and it can't be scanned. Please do post a final note announcing that your little guy arrived alive.

Oh yes sorry I didnt think that far... Live Aquaria is in my opinion a great company and I didnt mean to imply that they werent. It just boggled my mind is all and with all my other stuff with the previous octo and my water problems... I was to say the least nervious. And as you noted, my little guy/gal did indeed arrive alive and fiesty to boot. Plus, even if he didnt they would have taken care of it.

My new journal is posted now yay and all went well!

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back