• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Just set up my dwarf octo tank.

I just finished aquascaping my 20 gallon high dwarf octo tank! I am very excited. It is completely ready, except for a skimmer (and octo-proofing it). I still need to get a skimmer, but I have a few cheapo ones bought for my 75 gallon that would work until I decide if I wanna get a new one. I think I did everything right. RO/DI water, lots of hiding places, medium flow, high filtration, small amount of live rock, ~1 inch sand, macros, etc. I'm making this a natural setup. I want a dwarf octo to get my feet wet in cephalopods, even though the common problems with dwarfs, short life span, nocturnal, etc. Since it is a dwarf, do I need to cover the intake tubes on filters and powerheads with something? Do dwarfs take to frozen with the same success rate as bimacs? BTW, this tank has been cycling for about 5 months now, and the pods population has exploded. I added some hermits for clean up, but they won't be around much longer...:wink:

Pics to come when the water has cleared!

octofulltankshot.jpg

Sorry about the brightness. it was too dark, so I lightened it a little. Still have to properly seal it, and get the skimmer on the back.

Brock Fluharty;81224 said:
Since it is a dwarf, do I need to cover the intake tubes on filters and powerheads with something? Do dwarfs take to frozen with the same success rate as bimacs?

I would say that with any cephalopod you should cover the intakes. Octopus are curious animals and all cephalopods are delicate. As for feeding, it depends on the species, age and personality of each individual octopus as to whether it eats frozen food. I think all octopus owners should be prepared to provide live food for the lifespan of your animal. You might get lucky and your octopus will take frozen, but you shouldn't count on it.

Your live rock doesn't really form any caves, as far as I can tell. You might consider a short length of PVC pipe or a small clay flowerpot turned on its side to make a small den.

Nancy

Lol, thanks alien4fish. I know that I need more LR. I have 4 reef tanks :wink:.

Nancy,

I'm going to go pick up some rounder, more porous pieces from my lfs, and maybe some tonga branch for him to play in, even though I decided on a bimac (if possible) and am using my 47 gallon now.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back