Just set up my dwarf octo tank.

Brock Fluharty

Haliphron Atlanticus
Registered
Joined
Oct 13, 2005
Messages
511
#1
I just finished aquascaping my 20 gallon high dwarf octo tank! I am very excited. It is completely ready, except for a skimmer (and octo-proofing it). I still need to get a skimmer, but I have a few cheapo ones bought for my 75 gallon that would work until I decide if I wanna get a new one. I think I did everything right. RO/DI water, lots of hiding places, medium flow, high filtration, small amount of live rock, ~1 inch sand, macros, etc. I'm making this a natural setup. I want a dwarf octo to get my feet wet in cephalopods, even though the common problems with dwarfs, short life span, nocturnal, etc. Since it is a dwarf, do I need to cover the intake tubes on filters and powerheads with something? Do dwarfs take to frozen with the same success rate as bimacs? BTW, this tank has been cycling for about 5 months now, and the pods population has exploded. I added some hermits for clean up, but they won't be around much longer...;)

Pics to come when the water has cleared!
 

Brock Fluharty

Haliphron Atlanticus
Registered
Joined
Oct 13, 2005
Messages
511
#5


Sorry about the brightness. it was too dark, so I lightened it a little. Still have to properly seal it, and get the skimmer on the back.
 

cuttlegirl

Colossal Squid
Registered
Joined
Sep 16, 2005
Messages
4,934
Location
Pittsburgh, PA
#7
Brock Fluharty;81224 said:
Since it is a dwarf, do I need to cover the intake tubes on filters and powerheads with something? Do dwarfs take to frozen with the same success rate as bimacs?
I would say that with any cephalopod you should cover the intakes. Octopus are curious animals and all cephalopods are delicate. As for feeding, it depends on the species, age and personality of each individual octopus as to whether it eats frozen food. I think all octopus owners should be prepared to provide live food for the lifespan of your animal. You might get lucky and your octopus will take frozen, but you shouldn't count on it.
 

Nancy

Titanites
Staff member
Moderator
Joined
Nov 20, 2002
Messages
5,675
Location
Dallas Texas
#13
Your live rock doesn't really form any caves, as far as I can tell. You might consider a short length of PVC pipe or a small clay flowerpot turned on its side to make a small den.

Nancy
 

Brock Fluharty

Haliphron Atlanticus
Registered
Joined
Oct 13, 2005
Messages
511
#14
Lol, thanks alien4fish. I know that I need more LR. I have 4 reef tanks ;).

Nancy,

I'm going to go pick up some rounder, more porous pieces from my lfs, and maybe some tonga branch for him to play in, even though I decided on a bimac (if possible) and am using my 47 gallon now.
 

Brock Fluharty

Haliphron Atlanticus
Registered
Joined
Oct 13, 2005
Messages
511
#17
Well, looks like I may be getting a mercatoris after all. I think he would be very happy in a 47 gallon! How big of a tank would you need to keep 2 O. mercatoris?
 

tank balla

Pygmy Octopus
Registered
Joined
Mar 5, 2007
Messages
11
#18
new 20gallon long tank for a new dwarf octo

i just got a new 20 gallon long tank and ordered a dwarf octo i have 20lb of live rock and LOTS of places to hide and a PCP pipe for the octo to exporle in. right now i have aqueclear filter but it is carppy and going to up grade to a better one but for now that is what i have the octo is not in it yet but going to pick him up this thurday and it is monday. i am going to get a chiller for my size tank. please this is my frist octo and i really want it to live i will set up pics later. thx:smile:
 

cthulhu77

TONMO Supporter
Supporter
Joined
Mar 15, 2003
Messages
6,642
#19
Brock Fluharty;81581 said:
Well, looks like I may be getting a mercatoris after all. I think he would be very happy in a 47 gallon! How big of a tank would you need to keep 2 O. mercatoris?


Two tanks. :smile:

To be honest, it really depends on the particular octopus(s)...some get along, some don't. I find it easier not to risk it, and keep them one to a tank...unless you are going to breed them ?
 

cuttlegirl

Colossal Squid
Registered
Joined
Sep 16, 2005
Messages
4,934
Location
Pittsburgh, PA
#20
tank balla;89275 said:
i just got a new 20 gallon long tank and ordered a dwarf octo i have 20lb of live rock and LOTS of places to hide and a PCP pipe for the octo to exporle in. right now i have aqueclear filter but it is carppy and going to up grade to a better one but for now that is what i have the octo is not in it yet but going to pick him up this thurday and it is monday. i am going to get a chiller for my size tank. please this is my frist octo and i really want it to live i will set up pics later. thx:smile:
How long has your tank been set up? You will need a protein skimmer to keep up with the amount of waste that octopus is going to produce.
 

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
19,394
Messages
202,060
Members
8,296
Latest member
meadocto

Monty Awards

TONMOCON IV (2011): Terri
TONMOCON V (2013): Jean
TONMOCON VI (2015): Taollan
TONMOCON VII (2018): ekocak

About the Monty Awards
Top