just recieved my eggs

Discussion in 'Cuttlefish Care' started by lilalancarey, Feb 11, 2010.

1. lilalancarey

lilalancarey O. vulgaris Registered

Im not very happy about this... i tracked my shipment ALLL day yesterday. UPS recieved it at 10:15 am yesterday morning. Feb 10th. i recieved it at 9 am this morning feb 11th. the bag was kinda cold and the heat packet wasnt hot anymore.

do you think they could still be a live? the eggs dont like deflated and look good viable (but what the hell do i know)

2. lilalancarey

whats the coldest temperature they would withstand?

3. lilalancarey

the temperature was 71.4 degrees. just stuck my Thermometer Probe in the bag. =/

4. MAKOOKAM

MAKOOKAM Wonderpus Registered

I would think there is a very good chance they would still be alive. Give it a shot and see what happens, you really have nothing to loose other than time waiting to see if they hatch out. I would acclimate them very slowly and keep my fingers crossed. Hopefully someone with more experience will chime in.

5. cuttlegirl

cuttlegirl Colossal Squid Supporter Registered

Warm them up very slowly, since there was probably a gradual temperature drop, there is a chance they are still alive. Good luck. Oh, and 71 degrees isn't that bad.

6. lilalancarey

Just finished acclimating them to 78 degree. Water. Found one dead out of its egg after I poured them from bad into acclimatio tank. :( I have 4 left. I'm going to keep my fingers crossed and start my mysid shrimp tank I guess. Bc it wud be such a waste to just let those all eat themselves :(

7. lilalancarey

Still no sign of movement, out of the 4 eggs 2 are big, 1 is medium and.1 is small. I wish that cuttle arrived alive I would have been so happy and confident in my eggs hatching now I'm so worried that I wasted 160 on food and eggs... :( if that one cuttle didn't arrive dead I'd have a little more confidence in them. I'm In the midst of filing a complaint eith UPS , well see where that goes... Probably nowhere.

8. lilalancarey

Still no sign of movement, out of the 4 eggs 2 are big, 1 is medium and.1 is small. I wish that cuttle arrived alive I would have been so happy and confident in my eggs hatching now I'm so worried that I wasted 160 on food and eggs... :( if that one cuttle didn't arrive dead I'd have a little more confidence in them. I'm In the midst of filing a complaint eith UPS , well see where that goes... Probably nowhere.

9. Almondsaz

Almondsaz Wonderpus Registered

I hate to say it, but I thought that when I received my eggs, that the one that hatched was dead. I acclimated him with the eggs anyway. He was moving when I put something near him. I didn't always see a lot of movement in the eggs but all mine hatched. I could see them move a little when I used a flashlight at night. I hope your eggs hatch and you get to see baby cuttles. They are pretty exciting.

10. Almondsaz

lilalancarey: any update? have you gotten out your flashlight and candled the eggs to see if there are any changes or movement?

11. lilalancarey

No movement that I can see through a flashlight, I even killed my mysid shrimp by overheating the tank with a brand new broken heater I got specifically for that tank so these cuttles really aren't working out lol. 3 copepod cultures going strong though. I touched one of the eggs and the cuttle popped out somewhat decayed and pale white. I'm just going to call ups today tell them they ****ed up. Hopefully get reimbursed ror at least the 50 shipping and order new ones today. :( I hope paradise pet shop still has eggs in stock though because at least I know the eggs are viable. I still have 3 more eggs ill just leave them there for now but I have no hope anymore.

12. Almondsaz

Sorry to hear the eggs didn't make it and the heater messed up. When you got your eggs were they individually packaged with a metal staple on the bag?

13. lilalancarey

They were all in one bag wrapped in another bag, with a heat pack on tip in a styrofone box. They didn't make it because ups kept them at their. Warehouse for an extra day then they were supposed to ship them out that morning :( and thanks. I'm happy to see your cuttles are doing great almond. U gave me a lot of confidence in paradise pet shop :)

14. Almondsaz

I have to say, I would still order from them. I thought that the one that hatched during shipping was dead becuase it didn't move, just seemed to move with the water when the bag moved. But then I put in a pair of tweazers to pull the egg membrane out and it changed colors. Who would of thought. I am really hoping that UPS does right by you! and I will be looking for your new eggs to come and everyone one of them hatch. The lesson I learned was to wait to order the live food til I got the eggs delivered and were ok. Even if they hatched just then they don't seem to want to eat for the first couple of days. Good luck. I will let you know if I find/try another source.