• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Just got my octopus

I read about your tank on the tank owner DB. How often do you test for pH, sg (salinity), nitrites, nitates, ammonia - and what were your last test results?

Unless you're having a problem, you could change 10% of the water weekly or 20% biweekly.

You really don't need that much of a sand bed.

Sometimes these things happen - your octo dies and you never know the reason - but it's good to check out all possibillities in preparation for the next one. I know you've been working on your octo tank for a long time now, ant, and have shown real dedication. I hope the next octopus lasts a bit longer.

Nancy

All the posts lately have motivated me a lot. I just added another bag of sand as you could see parts of the light from the underside of the tank. I also added a few more pounds of live rock. Water is still cloudy but i will rearrange them later. I added carbon to both of my chemical filters. Two of these put together . Search results for: '' - Bulk Reef Supply
I last tested sunday before i went to church. Nitrites were zero and nitrates were 20. Ammonia was very close to 0 and ph was indecipherable between 8.1 and 8.2 and sg was a little low- 1.023. I you guys spot me doing anything wrong..please tell me. I am going to order a Bimac from our lsf so i will be a little less tense this time. I will post when he/she comes. I am not going to ever order a octopus unless I know the species!

Ant

Ant,

It sounds like you're taking good corrective measures! Good idea getting a bimac for the next round: knowing what you're getting is half the battle! Don't be afraid to order direct from fishsupply if you know you or someone in your family can be home that morning to acclimate it. Remember, if it makes a stop at your fish store, that means it has to be acclimated twice!

You might also give it a few weeks before you order one though. May I ask what kind/brands of filters you're using? I couldn't get the marinedepot link to work. I see in the database you're using a biowheel powerfilter--do you know the brand name and the model number? Same with the skimmer? I'm just trying to get a feel for how much filtration you have available for when your bimac grows big.

Your parameters seem alright: I'd add that ammonia should be zero and not just close to it :smile:. Remember to acclimate very slowly when you add your critter. I've read that pH is much more difficult for animals to adapt to than temperature/salinity. I'm a fan of "drip acclimation" where you open the bag, set it inside a tall tupperware and drip water into it from the main tank through air-line hose for an hour.

Good luck,

Dan

Yup. Ammonia was zero. I was just emphsizing it :wink:

I think its the 170$ one here but i dont remember it costing me that much.
I want to get him from the lfs because then i can take my good old time aclimating him and so my mom doesnt have to hassle with him before work. I am aiming for a hour and a half + aclimation time using the drip method slowly.

Search results for: '' - Bulk Reef Supply

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back