• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Just got my first octopus!!!

You know, when I first saw his picture I thought he looked like a Henry... to bad I didn't post it earlier...

Joey

binaryterror;78189 said:
Thanks. I just fed him some FW feeder guppies, and he ate all 3! But I never got to see him catch them, I just noticed that they are gone! He seemed to really enjoy hunting them as far as I could tell. But no I haven't named him yet. I can't think of anything! I was sort of thinking about Henry. But who knows...

I like Henry! We had a Henry too...........turned out to be Mrs Henry tho'! Very small for her species so she conned us into thinking she was a juv he (no hectocotylus and small size = juv male in this species.........mature females are usually BIG!)

FYI I wouldn't feed FW food too often, it's too fatty and can be lacking in nutrients for an octi, Marine species are better. FW food is a treat food!!!!

J

Ok thanks. I will feed my guppies a few times a week probably. But I noticed that he has always been sitting in the same shell with his head out. And he isn;t moving around like he was before. So is he just calming down and getting settled, or what?

I just fed him a hermit crab. The shell was as big as his mantle, but the crab is like 1/2" maybe. He stuck a tentacle in the shell and is trying to pull it out as we speak, but it looks like he is having a little trouble...

So can I now welcome Henry the Octopus?! And add him to the List of Our Octopuses, now that he has a name?

Maybe you should try feeding Henry a few smaller crabs. Have you also tried feeding pieces of frozen (or fresh) raw shrimp (thawed, of course, if frozen)?

We advise our members to avoid feeder fish - often these aren't in good health and may have received treatments that would be harmful to your octo - inverts (crabs, for instance) can't be treated with copper, so you know they're safe.

Nancy

Yeah! It's been my dream to be on the list of Octopuses!!! Do you need any other info for him to be on "The List". I have tried feeding him thawed frozen raw shrimp, and he took it and ate it right away!

But the crab, he is still holding onto it by his mouth, and I can't tell if he is still trying to eat it, or if he just likes the shell, LOL!

Yeah, with the feeder fish, maybe I should stop feeding him them... They were so cheap though! WOuld like 1 time a week be OK? Or will that not make a difference...?

I almost forogt, here are some new pics after I finally realeased him into his new "BIG" home!

DSCN3250.jpg

DSCN3251.jpg

DSCN3252.jpg

I added Henry to the list. I'm trying to add some additional information, such as which state you live in (I don't have that information). Was Henry sold to you as a briareus?

It would be a good idea to stop offering feeder guppies, just to be safe.

Nice pics of Henry and your tank. Is your tank open at the top? - if so, you could use duct tape and tape some sort of mesh or netting over it. He's pretty small to be heading off somewhere, but just in case.

Nancy

Thanks for adding him! I live in Ohio, and I bought it from marinedepotlive.com as a Bimac. Wy do you ask if he was sold as a Briareus? He IS a Bimac, right???

And my tank is completly closed. It has a glass top in the from, and the bacl had 4" of open space, so I duct taped some plastic screen/mech back there, so there are no more openings.

And I will stop feeding him guppies, but I REALLY want to feed just 1 more so I can see him eat it. I never got to see him eat one before. Oh, and how much should I feed him every day?

I was ready an article on Bimacs, and I noticed it said that Bimacs have blue in the false eyespots. Mine has a false eye spot, but it has no blue in it at all. Does this mean he isn't a Bimac?

EDIT: I looked up pics of Bimaculoids, and Bimaculatus octos, and found out that mine is a Bimaculatus since it has the 2 white spots about mid way up his mantle. Does this change anything? Do they need everything the same as Bimaculoids?

You need to look carefully at the eyespot. O. bimaculoides has an unbroken chain, as shown in the first photo in the Bimac Care Sheet.
Cephalopod Care

A number of other species have false eyespots (the scientific term for false eyespot is ocellus).

O. bimaculatus is very similar to O. bimaculoides but is distinguished by being larger (but not always), having small-sized eggs and a different ocellus. The eyespot of O. bimaculatus also has the color blue, but has spokes and not an unbroken chain.

Your octo is still small, maybe it's difficult to have a clear view of the eyespot.

Nancy

Nancy;78339 said:
The eyespot of O. bimaculoides also has the color blue, but has spokes and not an unbroken chain.

Nancy

Do you mean Bimaculatus by that? Because earlier in your post, you said Bimaculoides has a blue chain, not spokes. (Note from Nancy: yes, correction made in previous post) I will really try and get a better look.

Ok, I found these FW crabs that look just like Fiddler crabs, and I saw them at a petsmart. So I am wondering if I could buy some for my octo to eat? I can get some small ones and they have ones with a really big claw also. LMK!!

I will try and take more, better vids. But I had my digi camk on hand, and he doesn't come out too often, so I thought I would make one for myself!

binaryterror;78420 said:
Ok, I found these FW crabs that look just like Fiddler crabs, and I saw them at a petsmart. So I am wondering if I could buy some for my octo to eat? I can get some small ones and they have ones with a really big claw also. LMK!!

Freshwater anything is not ideal food for a marine animal. Although parasites etc are not likely to transfer, the food has the wrong proportions of nutrients (often way too fatty and lacking in enough protein and the correct fats). It's kinda like a human living on a diet of potato chips and sweets (sorry candy :biggrin2: )You really need to look into getting marine crabs or shrimps!

Cheers

Jean

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back