Just got back from Indonesia, where I met a few cephs.

I just returned from a month in Indonesia. I went to Lembeh Straits on the Island of Sulawesi, then on to West Papua to dive Cenderawasih Bay. Here are a few critters I saw along the way...

Blue ring

Wonderpus

A different wonderpus. I thought it was a mimicus, but.....

Then it did the sea snake imitation which made me think mimicus again. Hmmmmm....

This was a HUGE cuttlefish. This was the male of a mating pair. He was so big, I had to stay back to try to get him in frame. That's why the lighting is so poor.

The equally big female

This is just a fraction of my photos which I have barely dented. I have a maginatus and a longarm...somewhere....I'll post them when I find them

Triton Bay, Indonesia

Bobtail squid

This is a blur ring, but I'm thinking a different subspecies than I usually see. This one had very different behavior and never flashed his rings. It is hard to see them, but they are there.

He got a little angry here. He went red instead of blanching and flashing his rings.

Swimming

Mating pair of cuttles

OK OK...I'll stop now!

Ahhhh!!! Awesome!!! Indonesia is where it's at for octopuses and cephs it seems! I love the photos - please keep them coming! Did you have any interactions with them? :tentacle:

Oh YES!!

When I find one, I might spend the whole dive watching and slightly interacting with them. I don't harrass them so they often come check me out. I took a GoPro on this last trip and got a couple of cute videos. I just need to learn how to upload and edit them. SIGH!

I am so envious! Please post more to continue my vicarious adventure (I would likely drown because I would forget where I was or to check my air)! Hopefully @mucktopus and @Neogonodactylus will check in soon and give an ID on the little red guy (too much cripsis for the little Macropus we often see), red blue ring and the mimic.

YouTube or Vimeo are likely your best video upload bets. They are both free to join and continually upgrade their offerings. Vimeo has more privacy options but more posting limits for their free accounts. Both can be easily embedded into the bulletin board posts once they are uploaded. We'll take them unedited if that helps any :cephdevil:

I keep thinking I want a GoPro but don't get into the water enough to justify it and it won't shoot inside my tanks well because of the lack of distance. I did buy a used get wet camera to try in the tanks but have not made the attempt for fear of ruining it on the first use :roll:

Last edited:
allison finch said:
I just returned from a month in Indonesia. I went to Lembeh Straits on the Island of Sulawesi, then on to West Papua to dive Cenderawasih Bay. Here are a few critters I saw along the way...
Allison, that is so awesome a trip. Thank you so much for sharing. Keep the pics coming. the vids can also be uploaded to photobucket.com free and then attached to forum threads.

Dick

Promoted to homepage and shared on Facebook / Twitter. Totally amazing!!

Wow! Thanks for the kudo.

I will add a few more from an older trip to Lembeh Straints.

One of my absolute fave octos is the marginatus. If you ever want to play with them, it is guaranteed there.

I found it peeking out of the sand at me

2481618488_13195c45f2_o.jpg

This octo was offered a pretty new shell for hi approval, by me. He tried it on for size.

2481618494_03afa47e6b_o.jpg

It seemed to fit to its satisfaction

2480822699_bdd316f322_o.jpg

HEY!! Back off! It's MINE now!

2480832665_70e59dde4f_o.jpg

I'm taking it home (octo mobile home?)

1269646730_e12a306315_o.jpg

Dang! She's still following me!!

2480764413_cb08acc899_o.jpg

Alright, lets' stop and think about this......

2481548004_fd9a364c9b_o.jpg

I KNOW!! I'll hide under it.........(minutes pass)......is she still there? I'll take a peek.....EEEK!

1269646744_c1501b40f7_o.jpg

The Marginatus, locally known as the coconut octopus (they like coconut shells for houses/egg laying) are my absolute fave. They are not as afraid of humans, especially in Lembeh, where they have learned they will not harm them.

One last one of a young marginatus at home. Only proves one man's trash is another critters condo.....

1269646714_d547a18a59_o.jpg

Wow, these pictures are wonderful! Definitely upload video as soon as you can!
I really do have to try. I need someone to hold my hand and show me how. I'm looking for someone local.

I have to say that the GoPro took great video. The only downside is that it is so small it is hard to keep it steady. It has no image stabilization. I got great video of bipedal movement by a marginatus. Some good longarm (I think) and blue ring.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back